Mass airflow sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just use Throttle body cleaner and your good to go. Nothing to watch for as long as you use throttle body cleaner.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok cool I'll be doing that soon along with new ignition from the rotor to plugs along with shorties and a cold air

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have a 1996 up Vortec, be very carefull with the distributor cap screws. The base that they screw down into is plastic, and it brakes very easy. I broke mine twice. I now have a buillet distributor. Just slightly snug is tight enough. If you hear a slight snap, then you have broken the distributor housing. I would recommend using a screwdriver type magnetic type torx driver, and only tighten till slightly snug. I'm not sure what size torx it is, but it is small. Good luck, and if you are careful it can be done without breaking the distributor housing.

Last edited:

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there anything special out our maf that makes it irreplaceable? It's common in other platform to swap out the stock MAF with higher frequency maf and then retune. There are tons of aftermarket MAF plate options that include piping or get welded in.

Why isn't that more popular on this platform?

Oh. Here are some cool vids.

Maf no screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_-7ggnURSc

Maf with screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1y0O-3RNVg

Spastik Monkey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does jet still make a MAF for the vortec 454's? I'm running a whipple charger, headers, dual exhaust and a ram air intake. Trying to open up some air flow.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
does jet still make a MAF for the vortec 454's? I'm running a whipple charger, headers, dual exhaust and a ram air intake. Trying to open up some air flow.

Did you not read the thread? Aftermarket MAFs usually do more harm than good.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In lightly modified applications yes. I've got quite a few more mods

Please explain to me how that changes the situation. You're still altering the readings and it's still going to mess with anyone trying to tune your PCM.