Loose belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picked up a brand new belt the other day and it's already squealing it's ass off already. Also the day I put it on it ended up popping off the pulleys. My voltage is down much lower than before. The belt seemed like it had a little play in it, a little more than it should but I'm not positive how tight it should actually be, about 1" of play back and forth, seems excessive but idk. Could it be the belt isn't the right size belt that autozone gave me and it's slipping or that possibly the tensioner is going bad?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It sounds like you got the wrong belt, too long. Or your belt tensioner is bad. Shouldn't have any play, should be pretty tight.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like you got the wrong belt, too long. Or your belt tensioner is bad. Shouldn't have any play, should be pretty tight.

Yea I replaced the tensioner years ago but I don't remember how I knew it was bad. I'm assuming if you can move it by hand without a pry bar or something it's a sign that it's bad? I held the old belt and new belt together and they seemed pretty close and figured if the old belt is slightly longer it would be from it stretching after use.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
True, Could you possibly have put the belt on wrong? Sometimes they will fit, but fit loose. I still think they sold you the wrong belt.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
True, Could you possibly have put the belt on wrong? Sometimes they will fit, but fit loose. I still think they sold you the wrong belt.

I'm thinking they did too bc he handed me two belts and was unsure which one and said one of the two work...wtf haha. Considering one was significantly shorter than the other so I don't know. I should probably start there and I really don't think I put it on wrong? Although I never remember how it comes off no matter how many times I do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SirTurdFerguson