Lift kit or level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Ok the more and more i look at the trucks on here the more i consider the idea of going a full out lift kit. What are some of the better ones that do not cost an arm and a leg to get them? The truck will be a DD so that is another factor in itself. The biggest thing that may cause me problems is the fact that the truck is a Diesel so the engine is a bit heavier then the standard V8 Gas engines well other then the 7.4 Big block. So for a DD driven truck which is the better way to go. Full out lift kit like a Pro Comp or Fabtech or just crank it an inch to level the front and rock 285s?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I love my 6" RCX, me and a buddy did the install a few weeks ago. However, my truck is not a DD. I'm not sure if I'd lift a DD, honestly.

As far as cost, my kit ran me $896, and the tires were the cheapest MT's on the market (new) and were just a hair below that. I spent another $300 on front end parts...you WILL destroy your ball joints installing a lift kit and still have OEM ball joints, so just plan on replacing them. That was easily the worst part about the install.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Hmmmm Good points. I need this thing to be able to be driven day in day out...So maybe leveling is for me..leave doing the lift for the '69

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I say for a DD go with leveled and 285s or crank and block. Both are cheap and easy and wont drain your pocket at the pump.

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not totally sure on this, but I dont think you can do s Bl on a diesel. something to do with the inner cooler. but again im not 100% sure on that

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Im not totally sure on this, but I dont think you can do s Bl on a diesel. something to do with the inner cooler. but again im not 100% sure on that

Yea doesnt surprise me, more then likely its the oil cooler thats the prob since my truck is non intercooled.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea doesnt surprise me, more then likely its the oil cooler thats the prob since my truck is non intercooled.

Yeah, I dont know much about gmt400 diesels but I just remember that there was an issue with them either something up front was in the way or they were at a high risk of overheating or something along those lines. But like everything else im sure theres ways to make it work with some fabbing. Probably not worth the hassle though.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Yeah, I dont know much about gmt400 diesels but I just remember that there was an issue with them either something up front was in the way or they were at a high risk of overheating or something along those lines. But like everything else im sure theres ways to make it work with some fabbing. Probably not worth the hassle though.

Agreed, so its looking like crank and blocks for me lol