L29 Replacing Fuel Injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedBurb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello ---I finally started to change out the FI's on my 180K L29 engine. I'm chasing a rough idle and hopefully this job fixes it. All new injectors and a new fuel pressure regulator.

Here are some pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If lower intake gasket was never changed, might be worth to consider

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't be like this guy and drop one of those damned wire harness clips down an intake port!

I ended up finding it with the cell phone bore scope thingy plus a light shining down the hole.

Hopefully your problems are fixed.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Did you move the distributor to get things apart? It's turned quite a bit to the right.

RedBurb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you move the distributor to get things apart? It's turned quite a bit to the right.
I removed the dizzy in order to change out the fuel pressure regulator. The picture above reflects how the dizzy was positioned before the removal. But afterwards I stabbed it back into the same exact position since I couldn't get the oil pump's slotted rod to move counter clock wise (I screwed with it for almost an hour). The good news is the position works in terms of aligning the rotor with TDC Cylinder #1 but it sure would have been better to move the dizzy housing one tooth CCW. Fustration won that battle.

Below is a pic of the dizzy hole ---see the the slotted rod? I unsucessfully tried to turn it with several different sized flat heads. All I wanted was one tooth CCW. The Dizzy Gods said, No-go!

Last edited:

RedBurb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If lower intake gasket was never changed, might be worth to consider
I changed the lower gaskets 6 months ago to solve water leaking into the block. They are still in good shape so I left them alone. Good call out.

RedBurb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question: I'm having a hell of a time getting all of the new injectors to sit entirely down into the ports WHILE also clipping them to the fuel rail. Is it absolutely necessary that the shoulders of the injectors sit all the way down within the ports? Or is having the injector's bottom o-ring sitting down in the ports approximately 3/16" to 1/4" "good enough?"

Last edited:

RedBurb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out the old injectors. Notice one of them had a torn o-ring ---maybe the cause of rough idle? Hope so :)!

I wonder if these were the original injectors ('97)?

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out the old injectors. Notice one of them had a torn o-ring ---maybe the cause of rough idle? Hope so :)!

I wonder if these were the original injectors ('97)?

more than likely... not too many people swap all the injectors.. unless they are upgrading.

ETA.. it doesn't appear that that injector was leaking even though the oring is damaged. You could have them tested to see if any were clogged or not firing fuel correctly.

OB1214

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are indeed the original injectors. I pulled the same ones out of my 96 k3500 with 250,000 miles. half of them were stuck open had to basically floor it every time i wanted to start it or else the cylinders would flood. it was a pretty good anti-theft device at the time but i was burning way too much fuel so they had to get swapped out. hope your rough idle issue is resolved after the injector swap