Knocking sound while coasting..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Hey guys. a few days ago my truck started making a knocking noise while coasting only. its gotten worse and i cant seem to figure out what it is.. My CV shafts are fine, so is my steering link stablelizer as well as my ball joints and tie rods. It almost sounds like there is a screw in my tire because it knocks with the speed of my truck but it dont knock when i step on the brakes or accelerate.

Any ideas? i jacked up my truck and my wheels has no play so i dont think it could be the bearing hub, but then again, i could be wrong

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
You're 100% it's only while coasting or is it just drowned out by the exhaust when you're not coasting?

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
You're 100% it's only while coasting or is it just drowned out by the exhaust when you're not coasting?

It was while coasting..

as embarasssing as this might sound, it was my lugnuts. They were all loose. Strange considering i took my wheels of about 3 weeks ago and torqued the snot out of them. Need to get some speciality lug nuts just to be sure its not some punk kid at my school trying to get to me.

Torque your nuts everyone! Im glad i found this in time

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Wow... I read you first post and was thinking... My truck did this when my lug nuts were loose, only I was unfortunate enough to find out the hard way. :nono:

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Ya thank god you found out before it was too late. My mom had a 99 suburban that the lug nuts came loose on the rear right wheel and it set down on the highway with a fully loaded rear (we were moving from nashville to savannah) and ended up tweaking the frame. Another time I was picking my 98 up from a body shop and I drove my rover there and my brother drove it back, as we were driving I just started seeing lug nuts fly off. 3 were gone before I got him to pull over. I had a mini heart attack when that was going on.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
This same thing happened on an old Ford I had, was on my way home from work (20 min drive at the time) and heard it clacking. Pulled over to find out the new to me wheels were loose :nono:

Sent from the big block!

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
Wow... I read you first post and was thinking... My truck did this when my lug nuts were loose, only I was unfortunate enough to find out the hard way. :nono:
Ouch!! Sorry to hear man. Im glad I fixed it and did some research on it instead of continuing to drive it.
Ya thank god you found out before it was too late. My mom had a 99 suburban that the lug nuts came loose on the rear right wheel and it set down on the highway with a fully loaded rear (we were moving from nashville to savannah) and ended up tweaking the frame. Another time I was picking my 98 up from a body shop and I drove my rover there and my brother drove it back, as we were driving I just started seeing lug nuts fly off. 3 were gone before I got him to pull over. I had a mini heart attack when that was going on.
Those are some things i hope to never experience. Last thing i need to see if my wheel pass me on the tollway! :uhoh2:
This same thing happened on an old Ford I had, was on my way home from work (20 min drive at the time) and heard it clacking. Pulled over to find out the new to me wheels were loose :nono:

Sent from the big block!

I was sold on it being my wheel bearing. until i went upstairs and read online some people saying it was their lug nuts. sure enough i went outside and they were all loose. :chicken:

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My one family friend had the tire off his brand new ford go flying off the front end while leaving a tire shop....what a mess that caused! I had one from a random person fly off a trailer and just miss the "dealer" car I was driving on the way to get it inspected. I had it happen to me because people were screwing around with me...the first week it was keying my moms brand new truck when it was only a few hours old, the next week, they stole the lugnuts off my truck..... tire came off at 60 mph... week after someone backed into my other truck causing $3400 in damage, needless to say I stayed a hermit for a long time there after. Loosing a tire going down the road is scary and can cause lots of problems.. Luckily you didn't find out the hard way!