Just Another Oil burner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
well, the water injection is completely done.

Right down to the low level warning light on the dash that comes on when there' sjust over 2 litres left.

Still have to get it dialed in, but intital impressions is that it does essentially nothing for EGT's as tuned.

I've got it tset to come on at 3 PSI and full on at 15 PSI.

I suspect it's just setup as I've got the TM set to 12-13 psi max.

One thing I have noticed after a couple water runs is the truck seems to run a little smoother afterwards. The next start also results in a fair puff of black that clears up right away. There might be a bit of combustion chamber cleaning going on here.

For reference, if I run it with the water off it doesn't puff at start up at all. The truck normally starts clean and no smoke or VERY little.

Next up is a second rear camera pointing straight down from the truck cap to the hitch. That wil lbe for ease of hooking up, checking the hitch when moving and making sure there's nothing under the truck when backing out of the driveway and whatnot.

Then, fluid change for the transfer case, transmission (just the filter and pan fluid) and front/rear axle synthetic fluid change.

After that, it's time for a good clean and then hook up the trailer in the beginning of July for the "loooong haul".

When I get to Newfoundland, the fiberglass work will start on the interior of the truck cap. I'll be making a couple boxes with doors the length of the top to hold fishing gear and then dark charcoal carpeting the whole cap interior for a finished look. I may just finish the bed off with a bed rug too...

Transmission is done.

Good news is the fluid was a nice translucent red and the pan was essentially clean (I did have to add just over 4 liters 2 weeks ago though:rolleyes5:).

Just a light coloring on the aluminum, barely enough to get your finger dirty when dragged across it.

Magnet had the usually light "sludgey" metal stuck to it. Cleaned of with one wipe of the rag.

At least it's not hte original fluid. I could tell by the drain plug; instead of a torx 55 bit someone jammed a hex bit in there and buggerd up the bolt. I just pounded the torx bit in and "re-formed" the socket and all is well again.

Probably found the trans leak also. It looks like someone reused the original metal/rubber gasket. Normally I have no problem reusing a neoprene gasket, but this one was well past it's useful life. In goes a new pan gasket with a thin coat of silicone to hold it in place until bolted down.

Next was the transfer case oil change.

This was a little bit different story; not enough came out and what did come out was still reddish but with a brown tinge to it.

It was old or burnt, one or the other.

I'm willing to bet mostly old as the fill plug still had the factory paint mark in place. Although, tehse transfer cases have a rep of running hot.

So it was 412,000 kms on the factory fill dexron III! :svengo:

All that's left to do is the front and rear axle gear oil change and she's good to go.

Yup, they're supposed to be reusable.

This one wasn't cut, the sealing ring was crushed flat causing it to weep.

I've seen it lots of times with aircraft o rings. It just doesn't have the resiliency to fill the gap anymore.

So yeah, I guess improperly torqued could apply here.

I originally thought my weep was going to be the usual electrical plug weep. It cold still be. I washed the trans housing and we'll see what's what in the next couple days...

Nope, posted to 103 Sqn.

Yup, sure do!

How do you think I pay for all this stuff?

;)

xxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.