Is there a problem with this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your outer tie rod looks like it's at the end of its travel as well, any down travel will bind the tie rod and cause it to fail prematurely. I'd be surprised if your ball joints didn't have the same problem with those angles.

I'd flatten it out, that would give you better lifespan on your front end and also give you better ride quality.

A body lift is a cheap way to get what you want, but like you said the gaps look dumb, I know, I drove an S10 with a 3" body lift for 9 years before my K2500.

I've never looked into it but can you do fender cut outs on these trucks to fit a larger tire? That could be an option for you.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your outer tie rod looks like it's at the end of its travel as well, any down travel will bind the tie rod and cause it to fail prematurely. I'd be surprised if your ball joints didn't have the same problem with those angles.

I'd flatten it out, that would give you better lifespan on your front end and also give you better ride quality.

A body lift is a cheap way to get what you want, but like you said the gaps look dumb, I know, I drove an S10 with a 3" body lift for 9 years before my K2500.

I've never looked into it but can you do fender cut outs on these trucks to fit a larger tire? That could be an option for you.

Does it look bad if you keep the exhaust and rear bumper and stuff at the stock height?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
My advice on the body lift is raise the front bumper, but don't do the rear. Gap-guard under the tailgate. It will not stick out as being body lifted like this because your exhaust, bumper, and hitch will all line up, and your front bumper and grille will line up. Have done several like this. You REALLY have to be paying attention to tell its body lifted.

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My body lift in the S10 came with bumper brackets, so it wasn't a problem for me. The few trucks I have seen that did the body lift and skipped the bumper relocations did look odd to me.

And lowering the diff would help the CV angles but not the balljoint/tie rod angles.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My advice on the body lift is raise the front bumper, but don't do the rear. Gap-guard under the tailgate. It will not stick out as being body lifted like this because your exhaust, bumper, and hitch will all line up, and your front bumper and grille will line up. Have done several like this. You REALLY have to be paying attention to tell its body lifted.

How much do the gap guards cost?

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know.. I might just ride it out for a while.. Probably replace tie rods and upper control arms, but ultimately one day I want to do a sas with this truck.. Maybe just drive it like it is and save up for the sas

ryandrews123

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is my truck with a body lift. I used rear bumper lift brackets, a suburban hitch. For the exhaust i just cut loose in the rear and lifted to where it looked good and welded it back on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes obviously everyone's dream is an rcx 6" lift, but then again not everyone has an extra grand lying around for it either. I was just trying to see is there were some other cost effective options other than the obvious.

I see where you're coming from, but putting away a little money each month to do it right is worth it. I have zero patience and have a hard time doing this myself, but a lot of people spend more money than that on tires, so it's doable if you can wait. Truck will ride better and you'll be working on it less. It also looks much nicer than putting in some body lift that leaves your frame dragging and those gaps over your bumpers.

It also comes with things that may need to be replaced anyways, like shocks. New shocks are like a fifth of the price or more if you do them on their own.