internal atf cooler to external atf cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burganyntan98

Reaction score
not sure if this has been covered or not. but couldn't find a good thread on it. been looking at buying an aluminum welded radiator. (tired of the plastic tanks on the side cracking and leaking) only problem is the ones that fit that have the atf cooler inside are ridiculously expensive. curious if anyone has done a good conversion to a universal gm rad setup with an external atf cooler. as well as pluses or minuses to the trans. with said setup.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is what you are asking but my steel trans cooler lines had the screw in fittings striped so i got some brass nipple fittings that fit the radiator and ran the "out" steel line to the "in" of the radiator, the "out" on the radiator to the "in" of an external trans cooler, and then the "out" of the external cooler to the "in" steel line that returned it to the trans.

Without running an internal cooler, you should be able to run rubber hose from your steel lines in and out of you external cooler

burganyntan98

Reaction score
yeah i kinda figured it would be a simple conversion. i'm just curious if the trans will suffer longevity from not being able to reach warm up quicker from the engine coolant temps or does it matter? and will it run cooler with the cooler being external?

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Ah... Sorry cant help you on those questions with any certainty. I'll let another member answer those.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a thingie here I am not sure the correct name for it. What it does is goes in the cooler line and prevents cooler flow to the cooler until the the fluid reaches a certain temp. It comes in some of the coolers I sell, called a cold weather bypass I think. Only needed in extreme cold conditions.