interior lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chancehall

Reaction score
Hi i recently purchased a 96 gmc 1/2 ton ext cab and since i got it the cab lights havent worked. Ive checked the bulbs and fuses both are good im missing the driver side plunger but they should still come on when i open the passenger side or switch them on manually correct? any suggestions on where to start to find the problem?

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah they should turn on when you roll up that little roller on light switch. Maybe pass plunger not plugged in back. If anything your light switch is probably bad. Get one from the junkyard and see if it works. Really don't know anything else since you said bulbs and fuses are good. Make sure fuse points are clean and don't have any corriosion on them. Had that happen to me, fuse was good but not making good contact cause it had little corriosion on metal tabs. Hope you get it to work.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im missing the driver side plunger

On mine (1998) the interior lights wouldn't come on when the plunger switch was broken. They're pretty cheap, you might try replacing both of them to see if it's the problem.

Your dome override button isn't pushed in is it?

Last edited:

Chancehall

Reaction score
the pass side is plugged in and the override isnt pushed in so i guess ill try a different switch and get a new plunger for the driver side, but even without that plunger they should still come on when i roll the switch all the way up, if my switch isnt bad correct.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the diagnostic steps from alldata for testing inoperative interior lights, but its for a 1998 model. You can get a subscription for pretty cheap from alldatadiy.com, and it has the wiring diagrams and connector locations from the service manual for testing it with a test lamp.

The gist of it (for a 1998) is that it's either a bad wire/ground, bad door plunger(s), bad light switch or bad interior lighting control module for those vehicles not factory equipped with keyless entry (RPO code AU0, check your glovebox label). For those with keyless entry, the lighting functions and keyless entry were apparently combined into one module.

On the door plungers, I do remember getting a brand new one from autozone that was dead in the box. I ended up buying the Delco ones from the dealer and had no further issues.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's what I have showing the module. It's for a 1998 and it looks like it depends on whether or not the vehicle came with keyless entry.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach