Ignition Switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. 1990 GMC Sierra 5.7l TBI 155k miles. Twice in the last week I have turned the ignition to start the truck and nothing. The moon gauges spring to life and I hear what sounds like marbles clicking together behind the gauges. So there is power. However the truck will not crank over at all. No clicks like you sometimes get from a bad battery. Just silence. If I immediately turn the ignition off and back to start the truck will start right up. Battery sounds strong. This has happened twice now. I did put a multi meter on the battery. With the engine off I get 12.85 consistently. With truck running I get 13.8 each time. Does this sound like a ignition switch going bad? Has anyone heard of this problem before? Thanks.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where is the starter relay location and is there any fuses that might be bad since you guys are talking about a no start my truck won't start at all unless I use a wire coming from my solenoid and tap positive post with the key in the forward position?
Thanks!

On his truck I would first try and adjust the safety neutral switch on the steering column first or just replace it since they do wear out in time and the cost is cheap instructions come in the box how in install it correct.
Good luck! ☺ ✌