Ignition lock cylinder.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve3327

Reaction score
My 1992 Chevy won't go into accessory to play the radio. The switch goes forwards fine and starts the truck. Is the ignition switch easy to replace? Could it be the lock cylinder? Or anything else it could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
It may not have accessory. My 94 didn't.

If it's an issue with the lock cylinder they're easy enough to replace. You'll need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate removal tool though.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Your '94 came from the factory with an accessory position. The tumbler is bad, or the ignition switch is out of adjustment - most likely bad tumbler. If it's a tilt column where the knuckle is loose this can cause all kinds of issues as well. Failure to go into accessory is kind of a common symptom with the bad tumbler, though.

Pull wheel, lock ring, hazard button, turn signal lever bracket to cancelling cam, turn signal cancelling cam, "key in ignition" contacts, then a single torx bolt and you can slip the tumbler out and pop the new one in.

Richard

steve3327

Reaction score
Great thanks. Yeah seems weird not having an accessory position. Even my 75 square body has an accessory position and to be honest it looks like the exact same ignition in both trucks. Only difference this one being black and the one in my 75 being Chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk