If I put a stroker kit in my 454 will it run without a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techweenie

Reaction score
Let me reiterate I do not intend to drive the truck on the road without a tune. I just want to see if it starts after getting everything back together, then I can tow it to a shop. Not sure how easy it would be to tune a truck that doesn't run...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A windage tray and rockers will do NOTHING to put him "back in tune", are you nuts?!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
If you're going that far as to stroke it, wouldn't be a bad idea to go a step further and swap to a carb, then you wouldn't have to worry about it!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
If its a 94 or older, the TBI is pretty much a carb with two fuel injectors in it, but it's controlled by all of the random sensors and can be finicky. IMO a carb would be more reliable than that setup at least. If its OBD2 then I would think tuning might be easier.

techweenie

Reaction score
If its a 94 or older, the TBI is pretty much a carb with two fuel injectors in it, but it's controlled by all of the random sensors and can be finicky. IMO a carb would be more reliable than that setup at least. If its OBD2 then I would think tuning might be easier.

It's a 98 vortec. I might try to find one of the supercharger kits for it too. Depends how much power it makes with all the upgrades.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Let me reiterate I do not intend to drive the truck on the road without a tune. I just want to see if it starts after getting everything back together, then I can tow it to a shop. Not sure how easy it would be to tune a truck that doesn't run...

Derr, I missed this. I'd do nothing then and see if it fires and runs. Keep your foot out of it. If it gives you ****, then start trying fuel pressure tricks and the like. Just know that the actual change in fuel flow in lb/min is not that significant. I bumped up 4 psi and mathematically I only bumped up like 1.5-2#. For me, it was just enough to fix the transient fueling as it learned out the rest. Your concern is if the 20% the O2s are allowed to correct will be enough and if things like transient fueling aren't too far out of whack WRT the demands of the new setup. Again, I'd just try it as is and keep my foot out of it and get it to the dyno shop.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
It's a 98 vortec. I might try to find one of the supercharger kits for it too. Depends how much power it makes with all the upgrades.
Maybe if I had seen this was posted in the 96+ Vortec Performance I would have known you didn't have TBI haha