Ideas and a question or two about Plasti-dip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Been reading alot lately about those sprayable Dip-It cans and watched videos of people doing it to their rims, so Ive decided to go get a few cans tomorrow when i get paid.

My questions are:
Is there a definite procedure, or do i just wash and clean the rim, then give it a coat or two?

Question number two, how would it look if i took my grille off and sprayed the chrome part with the stuff, would it stay on/look decent?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been reading alot lately about those sprayable Dip-It cans and watched videos of people doing it to their rims, so Ive decided to go get a few cans tomorrow when i get paid.

My questions are:
Is there a definite procedure, or do i just wash and clean the rim, then give it a coat or two?

Question number two, how would it look if i took my grille off and sprayed the chrome part with the stuff, would it stay on/look decent?

Are you talking about the dip for putting on plier handles and the like?

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I know what you are talking about, it has taken off big time lately over on fsc. I would say no since your truck has black on it already and the plasti dip comes out faded and not shiny like your paint.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Yea my buddy just used it on his f250. It's very similar to the spray on bed liner IMO. I'd say clean well with soap and water maybe I light scuff with a scuff pad and hit the rims. Do the same procedure with the grill. I'm not sure if that stuff is paintable tho. My friend liked the flat black look but if you wanted glossy I'd tes it out on something and hit it with a gloss clear or gloss black to see what it does for the grill

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Not looking for gloss on the rims, i like the look of matte black in some cases. As for the grille, i think the truck as a whole has too much chrome. The bumpers alone are pushing it for me and the chrome on the old GMC grilles just looks horrible and doesn't last long in this heat. Eventually I'm going to get a newer GMC grille (the ones with chrome only outlining the grille itself) and color match it.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
That appears to come off extremely easily, seems to me that if anything happened to hit your rims or leaning across your grill to work on your truck it would peel off

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
True. I ended up buying some Duplicolor rubber undercoating. I just finished doing the second wheel on the drivers side, going to do the passenger side wheels tomorrow since it got dark. Will post pics. Reason i didnt go with the Plasti dip is because Home depot didnt have it, neither Pep boys nor O'Reillys had it, and Lowe's only had ONE can on the entire shelf. Im happy with the Duplicolor though, looks beast when it dries.

Goodiemob

Reaction score
Don't scuff anything! That ruins the hole purpose of useing plasti dip. Just put some rubbing alcohol on a rag and whipe everything clean.
Plasti dip is not sopposed to be perminent, it will chip and pit overtime. Peel it off and start over.