Hugger orange two door tahoe (pic heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powder1742

Reaction score
Whats up guys? Been wanting to drop some pics of my two door ho I picked up about a year and a half ago. 96, 4 wheel drive, 5.7L, 275,000 miles. Rust bucket. Been slowly working on her as time and money allow. I bought the thing to teach myself how to do body work on. I figured I could sell the thing for something no matter how bad I messed it up. Now on to the pics. (please excuse the first several pics. I upgraded the camera shortly after the build started.)

Here she is when I brought it home:
You must be registered for see images attach

The teardown began that night. It was hit in the ass by a guy on a crotch rocket right before I got it. His shoulder made the dent in the tailgate. His head bounced off the sail panel above. He was wearing a helmet at least.

Interior tear out begins. It was a work truck for the company I work for. The interior was filthy, ALL OVER.

Dash out.

New to me, less dented, junkyard tailgate.

The rockers on both sides were rusted through, like they happen to do on these things. I ordered chevy truck patch panels to replace.

Let the hacking begin:

powder1742

Reaction score
One regret I have on this build is that I didn't take enough pics of how damaged this thing was to begin with. Another thing I would have done differently would be to try to find a whole quarter panel and replace instead of hacking together one like I did. I know this wont last as long as a good quarter panel replacement, but I learned a load of bodywork tricks while trying to piece this crap together.

Passenger side rocker panel rot:

Passenger patch panel tacked in place:

The wheel arch was shot too, so that was next:

Picked up a set of fender flares, so I had to mock them up, try to make it look like I was making good progress to the wife.

Fiberglass roll pan from summit. I looked and looked for a steel one, couldn't find one. A year later I check ebay and they were all over the place. By then, this one was installed and painted though, so fiberglass it is.

powder1742

Reaction score
Found out that my rear corner piece from a chevy pickup wasn't quite right, so I grabbed the generator, sawzall, and cutoff wheel and headed to the bone yard.

Heres the donor tahoe rear corner:

Original gas door, rusted bad. Make sure you remove gas tank before attempting this repair. (I didn't learn the hard way, by the way)

Messing around with one of the stock ram wheels I had laying around:

Time for the mud slinging. Now, if no one has told you yet, the thing about Bondo is you have to lay it on as thick as possible. Just kidding.

Closer,

Replacement front fender,

Uninstalled:

Installed. You can get a good look at the inside of my garage door here too. That was a drunken weekend project that I'm pretty proud of, lol.

Thats all I'm giving you guys today. Rest assured, this truck is painted and sitting in the garage, so the pics will come fast! All comments welcome!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the door, I might have to steal that. Dukes was my favorite show as a kid :rocking: