HT383E into a K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/installation-guides

from Jegs site:

INSTALLATION NOTES:
  • Requires the reuse of the stock intake manifold, wiring harness, and fuel injection system
  • Due to calibration variances between half, three-quarter- and one-ton vehicles, this engine is designed for half-ton trucks and SUVs only
  • This engine is not emissions-legal in CA or states that have adopted CA emissions regulations
  • Comes with 12.75'' externally balanced 153-tooth automatic transmission flexplate. Requires externally balanced flywheel for manual transmission.
  • Has right-side dipstick
  • Not available as a Partial Engine
  • Performance recalibration of OEM ECU will significantly increase torque and horsepower
don't know what exactly "Due to calibration variances between half, three-quarter- and one-ton vehicles, this engine is designed for half-ton trucks and SUVs only" means..........to me it's not a bolt in for 3/4 and 1 ton computers.......if your gonna tune i can't see why not...........it's a dang air pump, make it work.

everyone that gets in my "untuned" truck thinks it's a big block.......and i have 3.42's and 265's.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget the 8600+gvw 350s have different valves and often 4 bolt main blocks due to the more common hard use such as towing up a mountain. I'd still consider it if I was replacing a small block

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget the 8600+gvw 350s have different valves and often 4 bolt main blocks due to the more common hard use such as towing up a mountain. I'd still consider it if I was replacing a small block

I thought the valve seats were just inconel? Didn't know the valves were different too.

The ht383 does come with 4 bolt mains, and a forged crank; would have been nice if they were forged pistons too. As long as the tune is good, I kinda doubt the cylinder temps would get high enough to require the inconel seats, but I could be wrong.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm calling BS on different valves unless it's a material thing. They're all the same size, but the 8600+ heads did have thicker seats. In the end, this is just as bolt in and plug and play as it would be in a half ton. It still doesn't make enough power or spin high enough to be a threat to a 2 bolt main if that's how it comes. I wouldn't pay any attention to that verbiage in the sale ad.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I stand corrected it's the valve seats, not valves, it was late and I messed up.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have my original stock 1997 vortec 350 Black bear performance tuned and it really woke it up. Even with 208k on the clock it has a lot more getup and go. Transmission shifts are firmer and even picked up 1 mpg on highway. It also revs out to 5600 -5700 rpm.

Before tune truck was stock besides:

K&N air filter
shorty headers
Flowmaster performance true dual exhaust with high flow cats.

These helped but after tune, my butt dyno definitely felt a difference.

Moral of story. Get a quality tune. Especially if you drop in a ht383 since GM’s stock tune is VERY reserved and fairly detuned for longevity.

likestrucks

Reaction score
When I put a new engine in my truck(98 k1500) the direct replacement was the 2 bolt main 350 that came in the half tons (12530282). I opted for the 4 bolt main that came in the 3/4 and 1 tons (12530283). It was a direct swap, there was no difference in the install between the 82 and the 83. So I cant see why the HT383 would be any different. Sounds like you might have to work out a few extra install details to mate it to the manual vs an auto.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I'm calling BS on different valves unless it's a material thing. They're all the same size, but the 8600+ heads did have thicker seats. In the end, this is just as bolt in and plug and play as it would be in a half ton. It still doesn't make enough power or spin high enough to be a threat to a 2 bolt main if that's how it comes. I wouldn't pay any attention to that verbiage in the sale ad.
Thats exactly it. The 8600+ seats were inconel. I think the light trucks had sintered seats. Same deminsionally just different material.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i don't think it's a physical issue....i think it's a mental issue; read computer..................FWIW

If the truck originally came with the 5.7, it won't be an issue. He should still get it tuned though, the change in displacement really needs to be accounted for; sure, it'll run off of the stock tune, but it won't be correct.