HT383E into a K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have seen a few things in searching for an answer here and there, that does prove that people have put the GM 383 motors into bigger trucks. Most the info I read says the HT383E motor is a direct swap for a 350, but mostly says in 1/2 ton trucks. I am looking for an answer and/or opinion about putting this motor in my truck, and if it’s possible, maybe a good parts list as well. My truck is a ‘99, CCLB K3500. It is absolutely all stock, with a NV4500 5 speed and 350 motor, with 345,000 miles on it. The truck is still running pretty good, but is starting to get a little tired, so I’m working on getting my list together and mentally prepared to take the plunge, and really hope to add more power over the 5.7, using the 383 if truly it is a candidate for my truck.

Thanks

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 383 will certainly move the truck a lot better than the 350, especially with a decent tune, so you'd probably be happy with it. According to gm's numbers the ht383 has more power and torque than the stock L29 did(granted the L29's tune kills it), so if you tune this thing as well as gm did, it should move the truck decently.

A tuned big block would probably do better, or a tuned Lq4. Really depends how ambitious you feel.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I truly would love a 454 in this truck, I think it’d be awesome. I have no experience, but have heard and read that swapping over from a 350 platform to a 454, while doable, has its own little bugs to be worked out. If the HT383E is truly a plug and play swap and needs a little tuning, sounds like a no brainer to me...if, these motors can indeed go into bigger then a 1/2 ton truck. My real question here I guess is why does it only seems to advertised as a half ton swap. I want to know that it’s ok to put it in a straight shift one ton. If it’s just a swap for trucks that came with a 350 and not just a half ton, awesome.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I truly would love a 454 in this truck, I think it’d be awesome. I have no experience, but have heard and read that swapping over from a 350 platform to a 454, while doable, has its own little bugs to be worked out. If the HT383E is truly a plug and play swap and needs a little tuning, sounds like a no brainer to me...if, these motors can indeed go into bigger then a 1/2 ton truck. My real question here I guess is why does it only seems to advertised as a half ton swap. I want to know that it’s ok to put it in a straight shift one ton. If it’s just a swap for trucks that came with a 350 and not just a half ton, awesome.

it's my understanding that it's designed to work with the stock 1/2 intake, exhaust, airbox, transmission and computer........

i wold think it could be tuned to work in a 1 ton.....or maybe do the 411 box.
call Black Bear and ask if they've done this......i'm not good with these new fangled computer vehicles.

i put one in my '98 Sierra short bed and love the fukk out of it.....along with a 4L70E and all the peripherals.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I would think the only difference between a half ton and a one ton would be it would breathe better because of the bigger headpipes. Also if you have a stick shift you might burn out clutches quicker but that comes with the territory. I get why you want to go that route but keep in mind it wont make the advertised power with a stock tune.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think its mainly advertised as a 1/2 ton swap because the 350 was fairly rare in the heavier trucks, at least not as common.

If you could find a 454 truck in a junk yard, you could get everything you'd need for the swap probably. Really just the size, computer, air intake, and fuel system are probably different. It would definitely be more of a project though, so the easy option is still the 383.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
My heavy work mechanic is always trying to get me to pick up one of these HT383E crate engines,
"So when are you bringing in that old 'Burb for a freshening up?"

He says he's done 3 crate installs, 2 Tahoes and a K1500; apparently they love the **** out of them. As far as installs in a 2500 or 3500, apparently there's some "balancing" issue or some such nonsense.

Personally I'd love to find an old K2500 burb with a bad engine and drop one of these in; but money doesn't grow on trees, and it'd have as much grunt as my 454 would....until a rebuild of course.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My heavy work mechanic is always trying to get me to pick up one of these HT383E crate engines,
"So when are you bringing in that old 'Burb for a freshening up?"

He says he's done 3 crate installs, 2 Tahoes and a K1500; apparently they love the **** out of them. As far as installs in a 2500 or 3500, apparently there's some "balancing" issue or some such nonsense.

Personally I'd love to find an old K2500 burb with a bad engine and drop one of these in; but money doesn't grow on trees, and it'd have as much grunt as my 454 would....until a rebuild of course.
I really wanna put one in my 1/2 ton burb

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
On Chevrolet’s site it is listed as a direct replacement for 96-99 full-size pickups and SUV.

In all my years of motor swaps, I could not think of a single reason why it would not work perfectly fine in a 3/4 or 1 ton. I can’t even start to think of any reason for balancing issues to occur.

As mentioned, a tune is a must. Unless you don’t mind dismal HP returns on your investment.

A 350 to 383 swap is more than likely a weekend project and 2-3 trips to the parts store for the lack of foresight.

A SBC to BBC swap, is a couple week project and several returning trips to the wrecking yard that you got the donor motor from, to grab the things you didn’t realize you might need. And previously mentioned trips to parts store.

If it were me. I wouldn’t be afraid to put in the 383. I say go for it.