how to remove arm rests from buckets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im about to start reupholstering my 94 suburban buckets. using vinyl upholstery to match my SL interior.

anyway, these buckets have an arm rest on either side of the seat back. the outboard ones hit my arm rests built into my door panels. therefore, they must go away.

how do they detach? i know they come off some way short of sawsall or plasma cutter, but i cant figure it out.

Michael

Tikkimon

Reaction score
On mine there is a C-clip retainer holding them on inside the frame of the seat. I removed it by detaching the fabric from the upper half and drove it out with a long screw driver.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
these were different. i got some advice from another forum. you have to push the arm rest in pretty hard, then rotate it the whole way back opposite of where it would be in use. then it will jiggle out. leaves a hat shaped pin sticking out of the seat, though. ill cut it off when i get that far.

little tip: helps to have the seat bolted down so you can push on it hard enough.

itst9

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is the same for a 95? I have wondered about replacing my arm rest, the middle of it is caved in length ways. The fabric is still ok but I think it was heavily used by the previous owner.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is the same for a 95? I have wondered about replacing my arm rest, the middle of it is caved in length ways. The fabric is still ok but I think it was heavily used by the previous owner.

If I remember right, they come off the same way. Your foam is probably O.K. I've found that it will move around on the internal frame of the arm rest. Once you get the cover off, reglue the foam back into the original spot. Turn the cover inside out, reach inside it, grab the arm rest, position it in the right spot, then roll the cover back over the foam. Think....condom!