Horn switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
I just bought a dixie horn and im looking on how to wire it. I have a existing horn that i want to keep. So basically i want to wire a switch to choose between horns. In one position its my regular horn and the other position its my dixie horn. I cannot seem to find anything online. To me it seems like it could be common. Thanks for ideas

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I did this with my air horns... I ran a wire from the factory horn behind the battery to the relay that runs my air horns. Then I just ran the power to my relay through a toggle switch in the cab.

Edit:
Here is a relay diagram I found online and changed it a little... You could just loop 85 or 30 through the cab and put it on your toggle switch if you wanted

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
The Dixie horns usually come with their own switch, unless you're dead set on switching it between your regular one and that one on your factory horn button

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
I did this with my air horns... I ran a wire from the factory horn behind the battery to the relay that runs my air horns. Then I just ran the power to my relay through a toggle switch in the cab.

Edit:
Here is a relay diagram I found online and changed it a little... You could just loop 85 or 30 through the cab and put it on your toggle switch if you wanted

You must be registered for see images attach
So it basically cuts power to the existing horn?
The Dixie horns usually come with their own switch, unless you're dead set on switching it between your regular one and that one on your factory horn button

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8
Yeah i really want to for some reason. Just want to use my steering wheel button

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
So it basically cuts power to the existing horn?

Yeah i really want to for some reason. Just want to use my steering wheel button

Nah, when your toggle switch is off, you'll still have your factory horns.

I just realized something though... Do you just have to "toot" the horn to get the dixie horns to play? With this setup, your factory horns will honk as long as you're mashing no the horn button inside the cab. If you have to hold the horn down the entire time the tune plays, your factory horns are going to honk also.

Hope I'm making sense. I'm so sleepy I am about to dose off at my desk... LOL

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Nah, when your toggle switch is off, you'll still have your factory horns.

I just realized something though... Do you just have to "toot" the horn to get the dixie horns to play? With this setup, your factory horns will honk as long as you're mashing no the horn button inside the cab. If you have to hold the horn down the entire time the tune plays, your factory horns are going to honk also.

Hope I'm making sense. I'm so sleepy I am about to dose off at my desk... LOL
No you have to hold it. I dont know how to make it play the whoke thing. Well that kinda sucks

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Should be pretty easy.

I'm not sure if the horn contacts in the steering wheel connects a ground or a 12v+ though, so let me see what I can find there. I would think it's 12v+, so in that case and assuming your Dixie horn also uses 12v+ as it's trigger, you'd just disconnect that wire(or cut it if you don't mind cutting stuff), run it to the middle position on a A/B toggle switch and run one of the other poles on the switch(we'll call that "A") out to the stock relay(the wire you disconnected or cut) and the other pole(we'll call that "B") would go to your Dixie horn.

When the A/B switch is in the A position, everything is normal, when it is in B position your Dixie horn will be triggered by your steering wheel.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The horn is ground control through a relay. If it were me I would take the signal wire to the relay and split it using an old fashioned floor mounted dimmer switch. The wire that would normally be power coming into the dimmer switch would be the wire from your horn button. The wire to the low beam side would be one relay for your standard horn. The high beam side with then become your Dixie horns via another relay.