Hooker Competition Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hogg

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the 1/2 ton 1 7/8 crimp down headpipes next to some 3" 3/4 ton L31350 pipes.
I have the Hooker Comp Series 2462 1hkr headeres with 1 5/8" x 2 1/2" headers. The 2806 1hkr with 1 3/4" x 3" collector Supoer COmpetition series use equal lenth primaries, but are twice the price of teh COmpetition Series.

You must be registered for see images attach

When I went from stock exhaust to 2462 1hkr ceramic coat LT's along with a mild tune, it felt as though I dropped a 383 under the hood when launching at the drags. I literally had a smile on my face as I crossed the 60ft mark during the 1st drag run after the instal.

peace
Hog

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
First round of parts coming in tomorrow, the Magnaflows and Dynomax Bullets got back ordered X(

Basically, nothing's starting until after first of the year, but as promised, the pictures will begin trickling in tomorrow!

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the first round in an unboxed tonight, still waiting on the mufflers and tailpipes so the install will be put off for a bit :(

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet, looks good. I will take some pics of my system and post them this weekend. I just installed these 2 weeks ago.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
i like how this is looking.. I did the same thing to my truck in the summer, same headers and everything... i envy your collectors greatly though.. and I used an 18" magnaflow with xpipe then dumped them... too loud for my taste and is annoying when it rattles the soffit on the house..
Dont forget to use a bfh on the pass firewall where the one primary will almost for sure hit.
You will still have to tighten those locking bolts 2 or 3 times after install
Make sure the header gaskets allign properly.. took me months to find that leak.

and some pics of how you route it would be sweet as well.

looks like you know what your doing though.

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like how this is looking.. I did the same thing to my truck in the summer, same headers and everything... i envy your collectors greatly though.. and I used an 18" magnaflow with xpipe then dumped them... too loud for my taste and is annoying when it rattles the soffit on the house..
Dont forget to use a bfh on the pass firewall where the one primary will almost for sure hit.
You will still have to tighten those locking bolts 2 or 3 times after install
Make sure the header gaskets allign properly.. took me months to find that leak.

and some pics of how you route it would be sweet as well.

looks like you know what your doing though.

I was planning on sending both headers up from the bottom, but from the sounds of it I'll only be successful getting the driver's side up from the bottom, does the passenger side have to come down from the top? Do you have any other suggestions on how to deal with the locking bolts? It seems like a pain to tighten them once the tabs and clips are on, especially if I have to do it 2-3 times before it's said and done. Should I just wait to put the tabs and clips on until after a couple of post heat-cycle tightenings? And as far as header gaskets go, I was planning on using new stock gaskets with a THIN layer of copper RTV on the header flange only, many sources have said it helps seal any imperfections there may be on the flange side of the connection. What are your thoughts on that? As far as noise, I'll be running Dynomax Bullets as dummy cats, so I'm HOPING they'll help tame rasp and bring the noise down a little more, since I'll be running dual 14" case Magnaflows, I'll have to see how it goes. Thanks for your input!

Where did you get your X pipe from?

The x-pipe is a Summit brand "narrow" x-pipe. It's a 2 1/2" pipe diameter with 4 1/4" spacing center to center, so it will hook up nicely with my duals running parallel down the passenger side like stock.

The parts are still trickling in, FINALLY got my tail pipes in this afternoon, the Bullets will arrive tomorrow and the Magnaflows had to ship from Magnaflow's warehouse in Nevada so I won't be seeing them til Friday. I'll upload pics of the tailpipes and Bullets tomorrow, and I'll be sure to take tons of in progress and finished pictures for you guys as I work!

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I was planning on sending both headers up from the bottom, but from the sounds of it I'll only be successful getting the driver's side up from the bottom, does the passenger side have to come down from the top? Do you have any other suggestions on how to deal with the locking bolts? It seems like a pain to tighten them once the tabs and clips are on, especially if I have to do it 2-3 times before it's said and done. Should I just wait to put the tabs and clips on until after a couple of post heat-cycle tightenings? And as far as header gaskets go, I was planning on using new stock gaskets with a THIN layer of copper RTV on the header flange only, many sources have said it helps seal any imperfections there may be on the flange side of the connection. What are your thoughts on that? As far as noise, I'll be running Dynomax Bullets as dummy cats, so I'm HOPING they'll help tame rasp and bring the noise down a little more, since I'll be running dual 14" case Magnaflows, I'll have to see how it goes. Thanks for your input!

I dropped them both down from the top, copper rtv will likley help, my issue is the gasket kinda swooped down and just caught the edge of the flange and blew out right away, I ended up using a mr gasket ultra seal gasket there.. the other side was perfect though, and i'd wait on the clips and such for the locking bolts, the allen head on those will save you many knuckles and curses though. just put them on tight, run it good and hot then tighten when its still hot, let it cool completely and retighten what you can, run it for a week or 2 then repeat and you should be good, also you will likley have to use stock bolts with the spacers provided for the front 2, to clear the a/c (if you have) or the locking bolts may work as well. just be sure that they are not too wide with the washer and all, theres not a whole lot of room.

and that should sound really good.. I need to get something as dummy cats, i even though of 2 mufflers in a row, or a 22" magnaflow
are you welding in O2 bungs (not sure what year your truck is)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SirTurdFerguson