Hobie's Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude.
What happened to that laptop??

Also it's great to see an update on this rig, I was using it as an example for my buddy who wanted to do something with his 3rd Gen Camaro
TPI 383 on an 0411 is probably about as unique as you can get.

Well, let's just say, I may or may not have left it on top of a vehicle, then proceeded to test drive said vehicle. Made it about 4 miles before taking flight on the highway, about 150ft of shrapnel from it lol.

And it is a unique setup, if a 383 with a TPI is the plan, I'd honestly reccomend much lower compression than I've got. Maybe 9:1 range, especially if running cast iron heads.

I'm hoping to find a 411 base tune with 30lbs injectors, so the tuning shop wont ***** too much when I bring it by lol

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the block in and mounted on the stand, checked ring gap, and since there is a huge chance this engine will end up being boosted down the road, .032"/.028" ring gap is what I'll be running, not too concerned with blow by for the time being, and if it becomes a problem, it can be addressed down the road.

Forgot to grab the torque wrench from work, so I wasnt able to check bearing clearances, but that will be done later this week. Nothing too exciting for the moment, but things are starting to fall where they need to be

You must be registered for see images attach

And before anyone says anything, yes the cylinder head has some minor pitting, none of it is in a critical sealing surface, nor was it worth milling the block down to eliminate the pitting. If anything, I'll dab some rust reformer on it all, then clean it up with some paint.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Checked main clearances, as well as rod clearances, all checked out, .0025" on mains and .0023" on rods, clearances the 2nd ring pack to .028" ring gap, and got the pistons all knocked into the block, all I need to do is re-torque the rod bolts, then it's onto oil pump and pickup tube, as well as fitting the rear main. Still havent heard from Comp on my camshaft, so hopefully that shows up sooner than later.

And the turbo for my buddies build showed up from powder coat, will be going onto a 406 LS, into a 76 C30.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the block painted ul, ended up settling for GM blue thanks to @Z71Hobbs insight on the blue oilpan
:badidea:
But I did like how it turned out, so I'm not too mad. Still waiting for the camshaft, going to call them in the morning, and hopefully get an update.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the block painted ul, ended up settling for GM blue thanks to @Z71Hobbs insight on the blue oilpan
:badidea:
But I did like how it turned out, so I'm not too mad. Still waiting for the camshaft, going to call them in the morning, and hopefully get an update.

I mean, you were using Ford blue on a GM motor.....I rest my case...

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Between moving jobs, once again, racing season starting up, and waiting for COMP to pull cams off of back order, not much progress has been made, heads have been plopped down on, but after that, not much can be done for the time being.

Finally got a better paying, more consistent job, so hopefully more funds to do things right, at least in a shorter time frame.

And of course now that the racing season is almost in full swing, some time will be taken up for that, but it seems like the car is faster than any of us would have even thought., so hopefully that lands the car on podium a few times

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it's been a while, but between looking for a house, life happening, and waiting on parts, the bottom end is together, top end is together, and all I'm waiting on are for a decent day that isn't too hot, or humid to paint the valve covers and oil pan. Waiting for that to be done to finish installing the intake manifold anyways.

In other news, I recently acquired an abomination for the time being, even though it's not GMT400, it'll be a work vehicle for me. Yes it's factory 3/4 ton, and 8.1 big block

And finally, if you know what I bought this pile of scrap metal for, then don't spoil it for the rest of it, ill finally be able to do something I've wanted to do for a long time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wjauto1777