Hit a dead end, need new diagnostic ideas!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbadbrad

Reaction score
My father owns a 1998 K1500 series extended cab short-bed truck. Last summer while passing an old lady on the interstate the 5.7 vortec blew a hole in the intake gasket. So we went in , and while it was apart, replaced the intake gasket, spider injector, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, distributor, water pump and gasket, and all of the cooling system hoses. The problem is that now on start up the truck will bog down severely above idle for about 15 to 20 minutes until you can work it past 3000 RPM. Once you can get it past that point it is fine. It doesn't matter whether its warm or cold out, the truck will not run above 1000 RPM without bogging down until after you slowly work it over the 3000 RPM mark.

We have gone over the entire intake area with soapy water and have found no leaks anywhere, is there any other suggestions anyone has as far as what to look into?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Are you positive that the spider is properly installed, and have you set the cam retard with a scanner after having the distributor out?

bigbadbrad

Reaction score
I would have to hook up the scanner again. I know we had two different timing read outs when setting it up. The spider is installed correct to the instructions that came with it.

Last edited:

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Just an FYI: Camshaft retard offset will not read correctly with the engine below 1000 rpm.
You'll get the correct reading at or above 1100 rpm.
I usually set it at 1200 rpm.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Third-ing the above advice. Probably the most overlooked part of a Vortec intake gasket job.

Richard

bigbadbrad

Reaction score
Ok. thank you for that. Our scanner has a "CSM Retard" or something like that reading, which is at a constant of 4. However when we put the distributor in, We just put the cap pointing back to the front of the motor like the original was when removed. Do we have to do the process laid out in the "how to" sticky about installing the distributor?