HID conversion is sometimes dim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenMAthisHD

Reaction score
I just installed my HID low beams kit from DDM Tuning today, I've had it since September but just never got around to putting it on. They're super bright and I really like them, I might even convert my high beams to HID's instead of Halogens (or maybe we'll do LED's for those).

However, I notice that when first turning on the lows, or switching to low beams after using only the brights for a while (no 4 high mod yet), the HID's will start bright for maybe a half a second, then get really dim and gradually return to full brightness after maybe 2-3 seconds. I do have separate ballasts for each side and went with the waterproof double relay for the kit. I made sure that my grounds have good contact, I ground off the paint where I put my grounds so they're hitting the bare metal for the best ground possible and each ground is its own ground - they don't share a ground with anything else. The battery cable is plenty secure as well.

My thought is that they're going through some kind of a warm-up cycle if they haven't been on long enough to be fully heated, and perhaps it's some sort of safety thing so the bulbs last longer. My sister's Fusion and my wife's Corolla, both of which have HID's from the factory, don't do this though which is why I'm concerned. Is this a common thing with aftermarket HID kits? They're not dim all the time, they're actually very bright, and there's no flickering. Maybe there's an issue with one of the ballasts?

Thanks!
~Ken

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed my HID low beams kit from DDM Tuning today, I've had it since September but just never got around to putting it on. They're super bright and I really like them, I might even convert my high beams to HID's instead of Halogens (or maybe we'll do LED's for those).

However, I notice that when first turning on the lows, or switching to low beams after using only the brights for a while (no 4 high mod yet), the HID's will start bright for maybe a half a second, then get really dim and gradually return to full brightness after maybe 2-3 seconds. I do have separate ballasts for each side and went with the waterproof double relay for the kit. I made sure that my grounds have good contact, I ground off the paint where I put my grounds so they're hitting the bare metal for the best ground possible and each ground is its own ground - they don't share a ground with anything else. The battery cable is plenty secure as well.

My thought is that they're going through some kind of a warm-up cycle if they haven't been on long enough to be fully heated, and perhaps it's some sort of safety thing so the bulbs last longer. My sister's Fusion and my wife's Corolla, both of which have HID's from the factory, don't do this though which is why I'm concerned. Is this a common thing with aftermarket HID kits? They're not dim all the time, they're actually very bright, and there's no flickering. Maybe there's an issue with one of the ballasts?

Thanks!
~Ken
This is normal operation for HIDs. You may not notice it on other systems, but it's part of HID lights. I'd recommend doing the 4hi mod to prevent them from cooling down when cycling to high beams.

On another note, would you mind posting a picture of the light distribution for the HIDs? I want to install some, but I'm worried the light will scatter too much and become a hazard to other drivers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KenMAthisHD

Reaction score
These are what I've got right now, though the spread didn't seem too much different from the halogens. I also made sure to aim the headlights properly back when I got the new housings, so they're not pointing up and to the sky. I will admit that the light did seem to scatter more than the halogens, but with the housings I have now I don't think it's as much of an issue as if I were to use the stock housings. For context, here's a link to the housings I'm using now

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8485252&cc=1157824&jsn=499

I am going to re-aim the housings again because I had to take them off to make sure everything looked nice and all my wires were tucked away, so perhaps that will help some. I did not get flashed by anybody on the way home, but we'll see as the week goes on. I probably out to put it out in the street and stand up the road with the lights on to see how bad the scatter is to oncoming traffic and passerby.

You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd pull in front of a wall 25 feet away and make sure the peak brightness is at the same level as your headlights. There should be a stark contrast right above the strongest part of the beam that has little light being cast. If there isn't, that light is glaring other drivers. That's the problem that most people have when they use HID bulbs in halogen housings. This is also what prevented me from doing the conversion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KenMAthisHD

Reaction score
Here‘s some shots of the scatter from about 20-25 feet back from the house front. It is on a decline coming into the yard. It scatters a bit, but the glare from an oncoming view isn’t bad actually, not much worse than a modern car with factory HID’s, and the focal point seems tight enough, not a whole lot of light appears to be cast past that. I’ve got to re-aim them still, the driver headlight is a little too far down and to the left. For a low beam HID conversion without a projector housing though I’d say it’s pretty good. Visibility is improved, nobody really gets blinded which means I don’t get flashed, and it looks nice.

What’s your take? I can get a better pic straight on at a flat wall the next time I hit the grocery store, but I remembered just as I pulled up to the house that I ought to get a pic of the scatter to show.