Help me Wheels Spacer fitment on my c2500 suburban 1996

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hub centric

Attachments

• 20231009_191111.jpg
    20231009_191111.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231009_191127.jpg
    20231009_191127.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231009_191116.jpg
    20231009_191116.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 8

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Supercharged111

Percentage and ratings... there's always a difference in ratings, isn't there? If an axle is rated to carry X, it must be actually capable of a percentage more, for sake of arguement. say 20%? Like if the axle is good to about 7200 lbs, it will carry a 6000 lb rating, right?
Then Load E tires are rated to 3280lbs, added up over 6k.

Since the inner surface of the spacer indexes onto the OE hub, then the wheel is on the outer hub as the OE wheel does. Expecting the spacer is flat and directly mounted against the drum/rotor/hub, and the (quantity 16) 10.9 studs are torqued correctly. I suspect every bit of 6k, if not 7.
That being said hub-centric is far more preferable than lug-centric.
Plus what holds the wheel on, is the contact of the hub, plus the tapered lug nut, in the tapered seat in the wheel, and the proper torque of the lug nuts.

Caveat: I've never researched nor contacted any manufacturers for their actual ratings and I've never used them on a vehicle I intended on carrying maximum weight, merely for track width correction, esthetics, visual appeal.

I have seen dealership equipped Rocky Ridge lifted dually with lug-centric spacers on full float axles. Per warranty requirements, if it's sold at the dealership new, it's warrantied. I'm naively doubtful multiple dealerships across the country would honor said warranty without assurances it was strong enough for hard use.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@Supercharged111

Percentage and ratings... there's always a difference in ratings, isn't there? If an axle is rated to carry X, it must be actually capable of a percentage more, for sake of arguement. say 20%? Like if the axle is good to about 7200 lbs, it will carry a 6000 lb rating, right?
Then Load E tires are rated to 3280lbs, added up over 6k.

Since the inner surface of the spacer indexes onto the OE hub, then the wheel is on the outer hub as the OE wheel does. Expecting the spacer is flat and directly mounted against the drum/rotor/hub, and the (quantity 16) 10.9 studs are torqued correctly. I suspect every bit of 6k, if not 7.
That being said hub-centric is far more preferable than lug-centric.
Plus what holds the wheel on, is the contact of the hub, plus the tapered lug nut, in the tapered seat in the wheel, and the proper torque of the lug nuts.

Caveat: I've never researched nor contacted any manufacturers for their actual ratings and I've never used them on a vehicle I intended on carrying maximum weight, merely for track width correction, esthetics, visual appeal.

I have seen dealership equipped Rocky Ridge lifted dually with lug-centric spacers on full float axles. Per warranty requirements, if it's sold at the dealership new, it's warrantied. I'm naively doubtful multiple dealerships across the country would honor said warranty without assurances it was strong enough for hard use.

My point was that that ring of aluminum is awfully thin and can't hold a candle to what the wheel centers itself on from the factory. Run that truck with loose lugs and kiss that ring goodbye. Even the steel ones don't have that thick of a ring, it's all lug studs holding the weight up. With that said, there's little point in prioritizing a hub centric spacer unless someone out there is making them with some properly thick lips.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that ring of aluminum is awfully thin and can't hold a candle to what the wheel centers itself on from the factory.

True, agreed.
Run that truck with loose lugs and kiss that ring goodbye.

It would be an issue IF the lug nuts were loose and the wheel rode ON that centric ring. No, its there to properly center the wheel, and the lug nuts do the job of making the tire, wheel, spacer, hub flange, and bearing races into a single piece of rotating mass

Even the steel ones don't have that thick of a ring, it's all lug studs holding the weight up. With that said, there's little point in prioritizing a hub centric spacer unless someone out there is making them with some properly thick lips.

Again true, and agreed.

So... don't drive around with loose lug nuts?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
True, agreed.

It would be an issue IF the lug nuts were loose and the wheel rode ON that centric ring. No, its there to properly center the wheel, and the lug nuts do the job of making the tire, wheel, spacer, hub flange, and bearing races into a single piece of rotating mass

Again true, and agreed.

So... don't drive around with loose lug nuts?

LOL. I don't think that ring is doing anything. I've run lug centric spacers on my Camaro for eons and so has everyone else in my class nationwide and we don't have any issues. Sure the cars are only about 3300# with driver, but they do pull north of 1G in a turn and under braking the stresses are enormous (but we do run ARP extended studs, so there's that). I have some steel 1.5" spacers destined for the plow truck (rear only) and the lips on those rusted off. Unless the studs are all bent, they're pulling the wheel in to the same place a hub centric ring would and if the 2 disagreed, my money is on the lugs winning over a thin steel or aluminum ring. Vs what the factory provided? Not so much. And yes, loose lugs are bad mmkay.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL. I don't think that ring is doing anything.

The full float axle can't use hub-centric spacers as they interfere with the floating hub. Same problem if lug nuts are loose.

I have some steel 1.5" spacers destined for the plow truck (rear only) and the lips on those rusted off.

Which is strange, here in New Yuck we use tons of road salt and my 8 year old alloy spacers are still clean and very much usable. Do you not wash off said salt or do you pour salt directly on them?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The full float axle can't use hub-centric spacers as they interfere with the floating hub. Same problem if lug nuts are loose.

Which is strange, here in New Yuck we use tons of road salt and my 8 year old alloy spacers are still clean and very much usable. Do you not wash off said salt or do you pour salt directly on them?

I don't know, they were given to me by a friend and are in otherwise good condition. They came off his dually. IIRC the actual hub centric piece of that full floater is right up close to the drum isn't it? It'd be too easy if they ran it out the depth of the hub that sticks out of the wheel.