Help me fix the hard start in my 98 I just sold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilbert597

Reaction score
My 97 7.4 burb if it sits for 4-8 hours I have to hold the key for about 5-10 seconds before it will turn over any other time it fires right up. Has been doing it for about 80,000 miles now lol. I have narrowed it down to having a leaky injector I just haven't had time to put a new one in it yet. Could be your problem as well.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Ok we haven't had a chance to work on the truck yet, last night my buddy reported that it is getting harder to start and he went to pass a car that was doing about 45 and it bogged down pretty bad when he got into the throttle. I'm thinking fuel pump?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Alright, we did the full tune up and boom she starts like a champ now. However, it still has the bogging at high speeds problem. Floor it at 65 and you'll actually slow down, if you ease into it you can accelerate. I'm thinking fuel pump, next time he brings it over we will do a fuel pressure test. Thoughts?

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Alright, we did the full tune up and boom she starts like a champ now. However, it still has the bogging at high speeds problem. Floor it at 65 and you'll actually slow down, if you ease into it you can accelerate. I'm thinking fuel pump, next time he brings it over we will do a fuel pressure test. Thoughts?

3 things... Not enough fuel, not enough air intake or plugged exhaust.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
One of his muffles does have an annoying rattle and it is true duals. Wonder if its broken up and blocking exhaust?

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Or it could be the converter rattling. Hit is with a rubber mallet. If it's the converter rattling then pull the O2 sensor in front of that converter and drive around, if your power is back then that's your issue.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Here's the thing - it has no converter. It is throwing codes for one being low but I drove it with my laptop hooked up and didnt notice anything that would be concerning.