Heating Issue Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ISSUE FIXED

Well yesterday i was checking engine with a milwaukee laser temp gun and the hoses/thermostat housing/intake and the driver side front frost plug behind the power steering pump was all staying under 160*

Today i went and bought a mechanical temp gauge and installed it at the driver head location where the original was. I ran and drive around town it ran at 170-173*. Got home removed it installed another new temp sender switch for dash and it is now reading correct and no signs of overheating! Also when installing temp sender i pulled the thermostat and drilled a 1/8th in hole on the side don't know if that helped but still good insurance when future coolant flushing that it will help burp any air it might get.

Thanks for the input and help!

PS: would it be fine on the vortec to put the heater core return hose from the intake to the radiator?
Then the intake port could be used to run a mech gauge if needed.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
PS: would it be fine on the vortec to put the heater core return hose from the intake to the radiator?
Then the intake port could be used to run a mech gauge if needed.

The heater core line attached to the intake manifold is the supply, not the return. The return must go to the pump, if it's not already on the radiator.