Headlight restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
My original 1993 headlight lenses are REALLY cloudy. Any ideas to clear them up? My HID's are coming this week and I would like to see them in all their glory!!! Any thing that will last so I'm not cleaning them on a monthly basis?

Goliath

Reaction score
Someone on here may know a better product but I blew about $20 trying a couple of the headlight restore products which turned them from yellow hazy to white hazy, so I gave up and just bought new headlights. Cost me about $60 but even if I do that every time should be able to go 5-10 years between sets.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Try white toothpaste on a clean rag, scrub it on, keep scrubbing till its off.

Ive done it, works good.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I had the same problem. 19 years of yellowing on my housing made light output ****. Tried my moms Mothers-brand (lol) headlight restore kit but it didnt help one bit. Did wonders on the taillights, though. Ended up saying to hell with this and buying new housings altogether. I can get you driver+passender side brand new for $50 if you want. Not sure how shipping would be.

EDIT: Just realized that my sig pictures the new housings. Looks nice, eh? :)

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I had the same problem. 19 years of yellowing on my housing made light output ****. Tried my moms Mothers-brand (lol) headlight restore kit but it didnt help one bit. Did wonders on the taillights, though. Ended up saying to hell with this and buying new housings altogether. I can get you driver+passender side brand new for $50 if you want. Not sure how shipping would be.

EDIT: Just realized that my sig pictures the new housings. Looks nice, eh? :)

The new housings look very good. I took the advice of the boys above and used alternating rubbing compound & whitning toothpaste. Headlights came out a lot better than I thought they would. The parking lights still look yellow. May end up getting new ones. Where are you getting a new set for $50?

Goliath

Reaction score
I got mine at 1aauto (checked my email archive and they were $69, not $60). May be Taiwan junk but so far so good - they look great anyway.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new housings look very good. I took the advice of the boys above and used alternating rubbing compound & whitning toothpaste. Headlights came out a lot better than I thought they would. The parking lights still look yellow. May end up getting new ones. Where are you getting a new set for $50?

You can get TYC brand stock style park lights on rock auto for $6 each. They also have headlights but prices are about the same as everywhere else. I also got TYC brand stock style tailights with new boards and bulbs for $19 each.

sleddyeddy

Reaction score
you can wet sand, buff with a high speed buffer with a cutting pad with a medium abrasive compound the use the polishing pad and wax will look like new. mask off areas around headlight and spray and light clear coat and will stay nice for a long time. i do this stuff for a living

Just2Sweet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took my yellowed, hazy headlights and turn signals out and wetsanded them by hand. 1000 grit, followed by 1500 grit, then 2000 grit. Then I buffed them with whatever polish I had laying around, using a cheap orbital buffer. They came out looking like new. If you have a few hours to kill, it's definitely worth the time.

I've heard that toothpaste will help, but I have yet to try it.