Hard start Vortec big block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've fought with my 96 K2500 Suburban for a while now trying to figure out the rough idle/miss. Finally changed the ignition coil and ignition control module as well as the IAC. Now it idles at about 600-700 rpm and it idles smooth, no more miss. It's still starting a little hard though especially when it's cold. Could this be a worn distributor gear? That and the timing chain are the only ignition/timing related parts I haven't replaced. I've got a wobbling balancer or crank pulley that I need to replace and plan on doing the timing chain when I do those.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure. I never checked mine, so I don't know how low it was. I replaced the pump because it would stop wanting to turn on after being parked. Apparently it had been slowly dieing for years, and I didn't know it. I assumed my hard start issue was the injectors because they're reputed to be a bad design. The new fuel pump and wiring harness pigtail made all the difference. A new starter took care of the rest... that started to become unreliable too. I still have the original injectors. I think my fuel pressure is around 55psi now.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll probably end up doing a fuel pressure test but my pump, filter, and regulator are all new. Soon as I can find some decently priced injectors I'll be replacing those, pretty sure they're the originals too.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel rail needs to come out. It’s not a big deal. Just be gentle with it.