Ground issue???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve porch

Reaction score
I have a 99 k1500 when I start my truck, my cluster gages for oil, temp and battery jump back and forth and sometimes will be fine like normal. Also my gas Gage needle constantly shakes back and forth. Also I have a buzzing sound from drivers door then my radio display will say failure but radio still works. Noticed my 4x4 button light will be on sometimes and sometimes off. Is this a ground issue? Where do I look first?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The flaky gauges may be normal as they all tend to end up this way, though probably not all at once. The floating gas gauge is sometimes an issue with the sending unit in the tank. The rest are probably stepper motor issues. I have one (maybe the temp) that flickers pretty bad when cranking but then settles down.

Just to check, though, the cluster is grounded on the round bar under the driver side dash, near the little light bulb and parking brake.

You must be registered for see images attach

The buzzing in the door may be some kind of interference in the speaker. Is it an aftermarket radio?

On the 4x4 buttons, do you mean the indicator light goes on and off? Try pressing on the trim surrounding the switch. If it comes on then, open the switch up and look for damaged solder connections. I had to resolder some on my 98.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk