Grinding noise engaging reverse with 5 spd..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx450

Reaction score
I went and drove a 98 z71 today with a manual trans and 104k miles, everytime i shiffted into reverse even from a dead stop, there was a loud clank when engaging, but only in R other gears were smooth effortless. is this a common problem or does it need a new clutch or trans?

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a clunk is fairly common on manual transmissions but if it made a grinding noise and you were at a dead stop that isn't normal.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i can feel the teeth on the gears bumping in mine but no grinding and it still seems strong, just gotta be gentle with it. i would imagine that reverse is synchronized but so far it does not seem like it

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nv3500 reverse is synchronized, so if its a grinding, then yeah not normal

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The reverse synchros must go out fairly often on the NV3500 then. I wondered since I got my truck. Time for an NV4500 swap.

mx450

Reaction score
ok maybe not quite a 'grinding' noise, just almost like you were trying to put it into gear without pressing the clutch, just a loud clank i guess. so i guess this is a commom problem but not major? no need for new tranny or anything? also from what i have read about non syncro reverse is u can go from 2nd to reverse without the problem?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even if the synchro is gone it is a $50 part no big deal.