Gas mileage!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So. I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I really don't its been suggested 02s, spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor. Only thing that hasn't been done recently is the timing, a vacuum leak, and a compression check.

Enginebuilder

Reaction score
Put a vacuum gauge on it. Report back with the reading @ idle.

Get a compression test done. Report back with the individual #'s.

Check your timing.

Make sure that your spark plug wires are not touching each other, or anything else. Proper routing is absolutely key, and spark plug wire separators from any parts store are REALLY handy.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you have drum brakes on the rear if so check to see if there dragging if you've had a brake service done recently the shop may have adjusted them wrong dragging drums kill mpg

mistaake

Reaction score
I don't trust your calculation through an app on your phone. Do it the old fashioned way... record odometer, drive, get gas, do the math. Fuelly.com is a great way to do this. If you are running different tire size this might not be spot on but it's more accurate. Other than that all the typical tune up stuff as others have suggested. Should be doing a lot better. Maybe parking brake is stuck on slightly? You should be getting better MPG than that.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Well it bothers me cause its a stock truck. Stock. Only thing that has been done to it is things they claim to add mpgs. It seems I'm losing it. I've done a rear diff service about 6 months ago as well. Only thing I've never done is trans service. Scared to. Heard bad news about that. 175k miles and I got it at about 90k and I've never done one. And I'm not sure If the previous owner has. Keep hearing at that long it can break up the build up and mess the trans up.

:( :nono: What color is the trans fluid on the dipstick? What color was it at 90k? Not looking into it as soon as you got it and establishing some form of maintenance schedule was dead wrong.

About your mileage, how well does it idle? Is it perfectly smooth? Is there a miss/does the motor have even the slightest shake? No one has mentioned injectors yet, and if you haven't read or done any research start here (link). Your cats could also be clogging up, there is a tool to measure exhaust backpressure, it installs in an upstream O2 sensor bung and there is a spec for acceptable exhaust back pressure.

My personal experience:
I had a 1999 Tahoe, got it in 2001 with ~20k on it, drove it until it had 170-180k and during the last SUMMER I owned it I put 30k on it over a couple months. It took a few years to hit the first 30k, at that point I did fluid and filter on the transmission, and then repeated it every ~30k miles faithfully. I put a throttle body spacer on it and an amsoil air filter, and I really don't know that they did much. I ran the spacer for 80k or so and took it off, didn't notice any difference. ALL of the tune up parts I used were Delco, the OE line, so platinum plugs, etc. At about 140k I noticed rough start and decreasing mileage, ended up putting the upgraded injector assembly in it, voila, better throttle response and all my lost economy was back. When I traded it in, at the 170-180k mark I was consistently getting 17.5/18/18.3 MPG with long stretches of highway.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Injectors is a good idea too.

Also sticky brakes would kill mileage. you can check them easy, for the front if one pad is wearing down faster than the other on the same caliper, your slide pins are probably sticking. Or if one caliper has thinner pads than the other then your rubber brake hose could be collapsing inside causing them to stay on when there not supposed to. And drums stick more often then people realize for various reasons.

Ditts454ss

Reaction score
To the last 5-6 guys who posted replies to this thread do you realize it is from 2013 and I doubt the OP cares cause he never reported back after Enginebuilder gave him some advise on what to check. Looks like the OP is still a active user. Maybe he will see his thread is revived and post up? But at least you guys are contributing!

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
To the last 5-6 guys who posted replies to this thread do you realize it is from 2013 and I doubt the OP cares cause he never reported back after Enginebuilder gave him some advise on what to check. Looks like the OP is still a active user. Maybe he will see his thread is revived and post up? But at least you guys are contributing!

As you'll learn a majority of popular threads on this site are from past years and also past members that may or may not still be here. The fact is, is that these threads are still here for some of us to have our own discussions on whether OP cares or not.

Sent from my 5.7 powered iPhone

Ditts454ss

Reaction score
As you'll learn a majority of popular threads on this site are from past years and also past members that may or may not still be here. The fact is, is that these threads are still here for some of us to have our own discussions on whether OP cares or not.

Sent from my 5.7 powered iPhone
Are you serious? I had no idea.

Last edited: