FUEL GAUGE ISSUS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethturbo

Reaction score
Fuel gauge did not read/ reads in correctly, hi all my fuel gauge doesn’t work since i bought the truck it’s a 93k1500 pickup, it reads empty and then turns maybe the slightest amount to the right and that’s it, it doesn’t change no matter how much gas is in it. where do i start? trace the wiring? what wires? All advice is appreciated thankyou

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gauge stuck on/near "Empty"? Grounded wire to sending unit, or defective gauge. Potentially a stuck float on the sending unit.

Some aftermarket, imported-junk sending units reproduced for "classic" cars have a float that floats in water, but won't float in gasoline. Far as I know, this isn't a problem with sending units for these trucks...but one can't underestimate the lack of ethics in the replacement-parts industry.

The more-common problem is a guage stuck on/beyond "Full", which is usually a broken wire.

sethturbo

Reaction score
yeah i’ve seen everyone have that problem but not for me, if not a stick float what else? and i would find said float in the gas tank right when i pull up the pump