Frustrating problem with timing advance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently replaced the distributor on my 95 350TBI truck, and I can't get the timing quite right. When the timing advance is unplugged, it consistently hits the zero mark on the timing indicator when I put a timing light on it. It runs and drives fine like this with the timing advance unplugged, albeit with a high idle (around 1200 rpm) and sometimes dies when going in to reverse. I plug the timing advance in with the truck running and let it run for a bit to adjust to the change, and it feels fine but will just die out of nowhere and will not restart with the advance wire plugged in.

I think I may have a small vacuum leak at the line that runs from the TBI to the valve cover. Other than that what could be the problem here? I have been tinkering with this thing for months and just want a truck that runs and drives dependably again!

marsmann

Reaction score
If mechanical timing with EST bypassed and basically no computer advance is fine then your distributor/install is ok. What you are dealing with is all within the computerized advance timing. A vacuum could cause some funny loping or surging of the idle which would move the mark when putting a timing light to it but I would be looking to test the coolant temp sensor or TPS. Both play a critical role in adjusting the computerized timing.

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice marsmann. I'm going to replace the cracked vacuum hose and go from there.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At work we had an issue like this... finally hooked the computer up to it.. coolant temp was telling the computer in was -40 degrees...it was about 90 degrees that day... dead sensor.. replaced sensor and fired right up and had no issues..