Front tires bowing...wearing unevenly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, how are you guys? I have a 1996 GMC Sierra Z-71 standard cab step side. I just got the truck a month ago and am in the process of going over it.

Anyway, it has a 6" suspension lift and 35's. I am not sure of the brand of the lift. My problem is that the two front tires look like they are pointing out away from the vehicle. They tread area does not sit flat on the ground like the rear sold axle one does. THey dont do it a lot, but it is causing the new tires the previous owner put on to wear unevenly and they only have 1,500 miles on them.

I dont know a lot about lifts....I am obviously going to take the truck in for an alignment. But is there anything you can think of that needs to be adjusted to fix this. I dont want to always be going through expensive tires.

Thanks for any input! JEff

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know bad ball joints or bad wheel bearings will make them look like that, same with misalignment if it was never aligned after the lift.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i will be having an alignment in the next two days....no one has any other suggestions?

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allignment shop will tell you what the front end needs, whatever you do dont buy cheapy parts. Its worth it for the lifetime warrenty ones, my new "cheapy" upper balljoints lasted me 3 days!

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Allignment shop will tell you what the front end needs, whatever you do dont buy cheapy parts. Its worth it for the lifetime warrenty ones, my new "cheapy" upper balljoints lasted me 3 days!

Agreed! Lifetime warrenty parts are not long paying for themselves especially with lift and heavy tires.

Are the tires tilted in at the top? If so that is normally a sign of the torsion bars being cranked.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed! Lifetime warrenty parts are not long paying for themselves especially with lift and heavy tires.

Are the tires tilted in at the top? If so that is normally a sign of the torsion bars being cranked.

Yes, they are sticking out away from the vehicle at the tops of the tires. I am having an alignment done tomorrow so I should know more after that. I will keep you guys updated.