Front Brakes Upgrade - 1999 2dr Tahoe 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dicksonw

Reaction score
Hey guys - new to repairing/fixing trucks in general, so please pardon any stupid comments below...

I'm looking to replace the front rotors/calipers/pads on my truck (rotors warped, old truck too - just bought a few months ago). I've got RPO code JB5 (BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DRUM, 6400 LBS). I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a new set - I kind of want something between "stock" and "performance." Really a robust set where it's nicer than just a daily driver set and lets me tow easily, but not the super heavy duty ones designed to be used with dedicated towing vehicles.

PS I'll be replacing the rear drums as well, similar situation if you have a recommendation for kits. This truck is an opportunity for me to learn how to fix these kinds of things.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are some good threads in the sticky section of this forum. Great idea to learn how to do repairs and upgrades on your own, and the forum will usually be able to keep you on track for success.

When it comes to brakes, I think you ought to take a total system approach to the job. It would not be a good idea, for example, to upgrade the brakes at one end of the vehicle without being sure the master cylinder and proportioning valve are right for your new setup.