flip out radio/computer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
do they make some sort of car pc that flips out and will fit in a 93 aftermarket radio location? i thought itd be cool if i could plug my aldl into it and read my engine diagnostics with a push of a button and not have to have a giant laptop sitting in my truck.

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a decent head unit but its just under $300. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33722_Clarion-VZ401.html

If you wanted to hook up a computer you could get one of these http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Adapter-S-Video-Cable-Video/dp/B000Y7T5UU

I thought about doing the same thing so I could load a ton of music on the computer and use the wifi tether on my phone to give the computer internet so I could use pandora or whatever else I wanted to do. The problem with that adapter cable is the resolution is absolutely horrible, its usable, but horrible.

I am very interested in doing this in my own truck but I have little to no experience in working with fiberglass or bondo.

What I thought of instead which would only with the 88-94 dash without major modification (95-99 dash would require major modding) is using a regular radio in the location under the vents in the center of the dash and using this http://compare.ebay.com/like/350720227695?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar in the stock radio location above the hvac controls. You could get the plastic "pocket" that comes with that radio kit and modify it to accept the tablet then hook up the audio out on the tablet to the aux in on the radio. This way you wouldn't have to sacrifice resolution, you would have a operating system meant for "on the go" applications, and you could take the tablet with you when not in your truck of needed. Another added feature is that you wouldn't have to hide a power supply (which you would need a decent sized unit to run the computer) and a computer. Also it would suck to have to wait for your computer to start up and shut down every time you get in and out of your vehicle and/or turn off or on your power supply.

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another plus about doing the tablet and the regular radio is you can get much better sound quality out of a regular head unit verses one with a screen. Usually flip out units put their stock in being "cool" rather than function-ability.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
some of that i didmt know. the pocket on mine is pretty well used so im not sure if the tablet thing will work, that clarion is pretty pricey too lol. i see a bunch for 100 bucks or so but their by boss and stuff and im not sure if id trust them to live their life in my truck. . i wasnt looking to do any extensive fiberglass work but if i had to id just do a car pc and be done with it.

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Jensen you just posted has a usb hub in the front bottom right of the face plate. If you're trying to go cheap do a jensen or a dual. I would rather have a boombox that takes 8 D cell batteries duct taped to the dash than one of those boss or pyle units.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
my friend has a boss and says he hastn used the flip out since october, im on edge of if i want the flip out or not because after him expaining it it seems like it might be a waste, and if it wont hook up to my aldl then it makes it a bit more pointless for me anyways.