Exterior lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NDFARMER95

Reaction score
Alright guys I'm new here. Picked up a 96 2500 for a farm pickup and keep miles off my duramax. It needed intake gaskets, replaced those. Now the wiring is a little funny. When I turn the blinkers on without the lights on they flash normal. When I press the break pedal, they start flashing fast and the break lights don't turn on. When I turn the lights on and flip the blinkers on, they blink fast constantly. Press the break and they still don't turn on. While all this is going on, the voltage gauge is bouncing around.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Sounds like grounding issues, check the ground for the tail lights at the rear of the frame rail (driver's side)

scotttick

WHO ME?
Reaction score
I had one do the exact same thing, it was a ground like mentioned before. Some genius hacked up the harness in the rear while installing a trailer plug.

NDFARMER95

Reaction score
Okay I tried cleaning what I'm pretty sure is/was ground. It helped me get to where I'm at now. I couldn't get squat to work before. The previous owner hacked the piss out of the harness to install the trailer plug. There's a huge rats nest of wires up under there going to god knows where. Does anybody have a diagram of how it should be done right?

NDFARMER95

Reaction score
Alright so I got the rats nest out of the back. Is the ground on the frame obvious or am I just stupid? The harness in the back where it t's, There's a bigger white wire and a smaller black one that are just cut and hanging. Is this anything?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Should be pretty obvious, It grounds on the drivers side frame rail right by where the harness splits to the right/left side.

NDFARMER95

Reaction score
Sorry guys been busy. Ripped everything apart. I have a bundle of wire the previous owner had ran every which way in the pickup. Tore apart the back harness and the ground was taped up with all the wires and ran in the plastic loom. Grounded it up and boom my lights work awesome.