Extended cab window leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could’ve sworn there was a thread on here about adjusting the hinge on an extended cab latch to pull it tighter but I cannot find it.

Mine leaks water since the glass no longer pulls tight to the seal. It’s a 98, so the seal is no longer available and is actually part of the window frame. If I pull it tight, it doesn’t leak.

The 99-06 guys sometimes run a screw through the latch arm to pull it closer in. I don’t know if it’s made of the same material as ours. Anyone done that on a C/K? I’m hesitant to do that because, knowing my luck, the arm would shatter or something stupid would happen.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
My 97 is doing this too, passenger side x-cab window. In strong wind, it flaps around and it drives me nuts. Seems to be getting worse. Hoping someone knows a fix for this annoying issue.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I sort of figured it out. On this one (98), the window frame is glued to the body. Pulling the latch closed flexes the part of the latch that is attached to the frame, so that part needs to be more rigidly attached to the truck body. Some people run a screw through it to pull it closer to the body

Too, the latch needs to pull the glass in more.

I ordered the latch “fix” from eBay which is supposed to pull the glass in more using a slightly shorter lever arm. I cannot say that it helped since the frame flexes, and then one of the frames detached from the body and started leaking there as well.

Awesome.

So I glued the frame back to the body and sealed the window to the frame’s seal with silicone. It’s my teenager’s truck. I just told him not to open the windows and made a mental note to never open the ones on my other truck.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I'm about ready to seal the window shut with silicone as well, I don't think I've ever used them since I bought the truck back in 2018, lol.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I briefly priced new window frames, they were around $250 or so each from GM.

My interest sort of faded after that.