Engine coolant troubleshooting..help please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a couple fellas check it out where its sitting today as im at home right now an hour or so away, and they looked under the hood and said there doesnt seem to be anything busted that they can see, but the resevoir tank had begun to crystallize and it was still full and overflowing even though it sat all night turned off. They figure if we can get it into a half ass warm place and let it warm up and add more antifreeze, as they figure maybe theres just too much water in the mix that I had added. We will see...

Oil looked fine they say so we should be able to rule out head gasket problem anyways..

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are way too many unanswered questions here. What is the concentration of antifreeze in the cooling system. What is the air temp? Is there any leakage on the ground under the engine area? Are the hoses getting warm when the engine is running?

If it was my problem, I'd start by flushing the cooling system with some mild pressure, say from a garden hose. Probably not a bad idea to use a cooling system cleaner at this time.

Install a new waterpump. It seems your old one has a leak.

Then, refill with a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and coolant. Might as well replace the thermostat while you're at it.

Then, run the engine with the rad cap off till it stops bubbling air out of the system. Probably wise to have a combustion gas test done on the rad to make sure there is no head gasket problem.

Then, see how it goes, and let us know.