electric fans info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erich7667

Reaction score
I thought about changing my 95 GMC Yukon to use electric fans instead of the belt driven fan. Trying to get my truck to run a little cooler. Any advice on the pro's and con's from you guys would be helpful, Thank You

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to get my truck to run a little cooler.

Honestly? On the for real?

Leave your mechanical fan in place; address any deficiencies in the otherwise totally-capable cooling system such as: clogged radiator, failed fan clutch, missing or damaged shroud, incorrect or failed thermostat, etc.

Unless you really do your homework you are very likely to end up with electric fans that don't move as much air, or cobbling together a setup that doesn't have as effective a shroud setup...resulting in less cooling, not more.

Richard

chevyforlife

Reaction score
1997 Silverado with 5.7 and a 180 degree thermostat, been using Proform e fan for years and have had no problems as of yet. Wired to run when ac is on, and when the temp reaches above 210 degrees. It was a universal fan so I had to mod the top brackets with the shroud removed. Nothing major for someone who likes to work on their junk. With the throttle diffuser removed and no clutch fan there is better throttle response, that's a win to me. Your clutch maybe going out or your radiator may need servicing.

erich7667

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, i will look into the Proforme fan. My main problem that I have is, I just recently had my A/C redone. Everything was gone thru and replaced, it works great never better. I live in a area that's always between 85 and 100 degrees. when i turn my A/C on it runs well but temp starts going up to about 210. When it reaches 210 I usually turn the A/C off. I thought maybe running electric fans might help cool it.