egr emmisions monitor will not go into ready state

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brethren... Taking it easy on Sunlit... Hes with me... Hes kind of a big deal, AND HE KNOWS ALL ( his question is rhetorical sum kinda jedi mind trick I suppose either way go with it) Sun take it easy here things are really simplified at this site... Have u tried swapping out the ported TB for ur stock to see if the problem remains..? This is really a problem sum1 would ask u about sun, but ill take a shot in the dark here, it does sound like an air or vacuum leak sumwhere...

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Lots of bad press out about Jantzer. I've never had one so I can't comment on that stuff more than what I read.

What was done to the Throttle body?

Oversized? If so how much?

What kind of scanner do you have? Can it run systems tests?

You may also be chasing a red herring here. A couple mpg is the difference between running a mild headwind or not....

sunlitcomet

Reaction score
after changing over to the 411 pcm the computer during its learning phase sensed the MAF was out of expected range given other sensor inputs. the old pcm coupled with old O2 problematic sensors and now, do to age and several burned out dizzy caps creating misfires(last one had to go 20miles like that), the cats are worn out and as a result the catalyst monitors won't complete and is apparently holding the egr monitor hostage as well. egr functions as it should. The 411 pcm is better coping with the defective components and while news cats are still a bit of time before replacement the mileage has gone back above 14 on highway. new tri-y thorley headers and the 3 remaining O2's to be replaced will go in in the next month along with new autolite xtremes. i will expect more increase then. a new msd vortec dizzy and 1.52 comp roller tip rockers were put in last week. will finish higher when new cats go on later. the throttle body was ported and blade mod done like any other they did. in the end any adjustments can be made to get everything to work together better.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cant even wrap my head around how u tracked all that down... So was ur MAF out of range..? Or ur 411 and shotty O2s causing it to read that way...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting. Lot of stuff going on there.

I cant remember if your truck has o2 sensors upstream or downstream or both from the converters. (edit- just reread previous post and saw 3 o2 sensor statement so I assume you do have up and down sensors)

If it has up and down it can see cat condition but should set a degrade code (active or history) if they're contaminated to the point of affecting the rest of the emissions system.

I'll assume you've got the 50 cycles on the PCM by now.

What program is running in the 411?

Is it a stocker or custom calibration?

Mail order or do you have efilive or similar?

The reason I ask if the TB is oversized is more air in = more air out. The calibration will compensate within the limits of it's parameters to maintain stoich, which means more fuel for the same throttle setting. If it's just "smoothed and grooved" then the amount of fuel added isn't significant enough to make any real difference.

The calibration is a different story if it's no longer stock.

At any rate, if you're somewhere around 15-17 highway you're pretty much in the ballpark where it should be and I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about 1-2 mpg differences....

Last edited:

sunlitcomet

Reaction score
i am an aircraft mechanic i get wrapped up over everything. i expect more and i will get it. i have four sensors. way over 50 cycles now. 2002 express 5.7l. octane fuel bump. i am back up to 17+ on highway runs. but there is still work to do. egr monitor is passed for now because the o2 monitor has let up a bit but the last three sensors still need to be done as well as the cats and the headers when i get them coated. and finally the plugs. now if i can just get the money and find myself a whipple i will be done with the engine system.

sunlitcomet

Reaction score
i do. been doing commercial since 2004. smallest is the crj-200 or q400. biggest is 747-300. plenty of technical stuff to get wrapped in and i love it. unfortunately if i want to keep on doing it i have to be on the road all the time lately and after 15 months i am getting tired of moving thru 6 states. with animals no less. take what ever i can fit in the suv and the rest has been in storage since.

heavyjunk

Oh cool I can change this
Reaction score
after changing over to the 411 pcm the computer during its learning phase sensed the MAF was out of expected range given other sensor inputs. the old pcm coupled with old O2 problematic sensors and now, do to age and several burned out dizzy caps creating misfires(last one had to go 20miles like that), the cats are worn out and as a result the catalyst monitors won't complete and is apparently holding the egr monitor hostage as well. egr functions as it should. The 411 pcm is better coping with the defective components and while news cats are still a bit of time before replacement the mileage has gone back above 14 on highway. new tri-y thorley headers and the 3 remaining O2's to be replaced will go in in the next month along with new autolite xtremes. i will expect more increase then. a new msd vortec dizzy and 1.52 comp roller tip rockers were put in last week. will finish higher when new cats go on later. the throttle body was ported and blade mod done like any other they did. in the end any adjustments can be made to get everything to work together better.

:Whoa: