dropping obs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93zierra

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a 1993 gmc rc stepside. It's lowered 2/4 right now but I'm in the process of selling my 71 c10 to pay some bills. I'm going to take some of the money to lower my 93 more though. I've got a few questions. How low can I go with a bolt in notch? How much more clearance does the bolt in notch give? I'm wanting to get a flip kit and either keep my drop hangers or shackles. Which brings me to my next question... which would keep my pinion angle closer to correct keeping my drop hangers or keeping my drop shackles? I would like to keep my hangers and put my shackles on the 1 inch for a 9 inch drop but I doubt thats possible with a bolt in notch. I dont want to cut my bedfloor. Thanks for the help!

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a 1993 gmc rc stepside. It's lowered 2/4 right now but I'm in the process of selling my 71 c10 to pay some bills. I'm going to take some of the money to lower my 93 more though. I've got a few questions. How low can I go with a bolt in notch? How much more clearance does the bolt in notch give?

7-8" is it. I had an 8" drop with a bolt-in c-notch and did just fine. A lot of people try to run 8" with a bolt-in c-notch and have bottom issues. Your mileage may vary.

I'm wanting to get a flip kit and either keep my drop hangers or shackles. Which brings me to my next question... which would keep my pinion angle closer to correct keeping my drop hangers or keeping my drop shackles? I would like to keep my hangers and put my shackles on the 1 inch for a 9 inch drop but I doubt thats possible with a bolt in notch. I dont want to cut my bedfloor. Thanks for the help!

You wouldn't have to cut your bed floor for 9", but the c-notch isn't going to cut it. Personally, I would put the stock hangers back on and keep the drop shackles with the flip kit so you'll have the adjustability from 7-8". Also, if you decide you only want 6" in the future, the swap back to stock shackles wouldn't be a big deal.

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear OBS Frame Rail Notch

I welded in a Super C-Section notch for my 6" drop. No bed cutting whatsoever, which is what I did not want to get into. Its easy. No axle clearance issues whatsoever. This allows you still tow a boat, put some weight in the bed still, etc., just like a stock truck.:waytogo: