dreaded 7.4 intake gasket job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What everyone said already. Take your time AND COVER your exposed intake ports and distributor hole. I had a thread on here where I showed I dropped one of the old gaskets metal washer down the hole when I was removing the old gasket. The gasket was so damaged it just fell apart and away the metal washer went never to be found again!

Just get an AC delco gasket set since they do not offer an aftermarket metal gasket set like the 5.7l. Be sure to add a quality RTV around the corners of the valleys so that those notorious leak spots are sealed. Let it cure fully before tinkering and driving.

Take LOTS of pictures. The process was sped up by using an air ratchet. BIG time saver. If you don't have one, it'd be best for you to buy an electric one for this job. It will save you a ton of time!

Might as well inspect or replace the MAP sensor as well. Mine was crudded up with nasty oil. If you are replacing your FPR, check the hose and replace that as well.

Good luck!

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just something closer to 30 lb/hr, ls1 or ls6 injectors are a decent replacement IMO.
ive heard of 26 lb injectors used in these with computer adjustment, and maybe a 21-22 lb injector that might work without changing the computer

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That seems like it would be a huge step, to me, on a stock engine.

Not talking 30 lb @3 bar, 4 bar. It is a fair jump for 100% stock engine but it would allow room for an future mods. The ls1 injector should support ~370 hp at 80% DC, which would cover most of the mods for a 454.

I know it's not good to go way overkill on injectors but I don't think 29lb/hr is really overkill. As I said earlier, a stock truck that I tuned was able to hit 99% DC.

A 26 lb injector would also work fine, it would need adjustment though. Any injector change from the stock flow rate needs

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have it half way apart now, the vacuum hose to the FPR is badly split and must be leaking, have not removed the injectors yet, ive been vacuuming the area where the head meets the lower intake maniifold, mice were living there at some point, even with the upper intake off the distributer looks hard to reach, is it possible to mark the rotor position, and remove the lower intake with the disttributer still in it, then put it back and just get the rotor in the right position and not worry about the timing?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the 454 like a 350 where the distributor needs to line up with the oil pump shaft?

Meaning...would you be trying to blindly line up the distributor with the oil pump shaft all while manhandling the intake and trying not to mess up the RTV on the china wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to install the intake with the distributor attached sounds like a freaking impossible nightmare.

It's really not that hard to access the distributor on the Vortec 7.4, yes it's hidden down there but you can still get to it. I don't understand the apprehension and yes I have done several of them. I just laid down across the top of the engine so I could get as close as possible. This was for distributor replacement with the intake still assembled so the upper half was in the way. Pulled the bracket that holds the coil and ICM and got the distributors R&R'd.

Richard