dreaded 7.4 intake gasket job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i looked it over and decided that was not gonna work, so i removed the distributer, and the fuel rail and injectors, and the lower intake. now working to get everything cleaned up. my new question is simple, there are 2 fuel lines attached to the fuel rail/FPR , supply and return, when i disconnected them they didnt seem tight at all, the smaller one ( return) has an oring on it in the fitting, the larger one seems like it should too, but maybe it disintegrated? theres something in there. at the auto parts store they looked it up and got a generic part kit for orings , one matches the return but the other didnt match the supply. can i just match one up from a kit or is there a part # /size for this?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it seems like no matter what you look em up for, you get the 1/4" and 3/8" o-rings described as the fuel rail o-ring kit. It's been so many years (almost 8 to be exact) I can't remember what my solution was for those, and like an ******* I didn't put a part # in the write-up. :( Just be sure whatever you get it's rated for fuel immersion; there will be plenty out there that aren't.

There's an AC Delco kit 17113552 that has 3 different size o-rings but it's shown for later applications, no idea if any of those 3 sizes would work for you but it may be worth a trip to the parts store to find out.

Speaking of o-rings, you did notice the FPR has 2 of 'em right? There's a tiny one inside that sometimes sticks inside the rail when you pull the old FPR.

Richard

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, i see that on the new part, have not removed the old one from the rail yet

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did get the doorman oring kit for the fuel delivery and return lines, has 4 brown orings in it, 2 3/8th and 2 5/16ths , and they seem to fit right, now i am cleaning the intake manifolds and thats a job

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did get it all back together last night, started right up, runs pretty good but has a slight stumble if i rev it in neutral, and the check engine light is on, im assuming its the timing as i guessed at putting the distributer in , my harbor freight scanner does not want to connect to the old truck, but it didnt before either, so i plan on taking it to a shop to set the timing, but it looks good otherwise, nothings leaking yet

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
this shop says i was off by a tooth, it started and ran pretty well, they say they have to take it apart, i did mark it and put it back the way it was, are they BSing me? im worried they are not reading CMP offset, would it run off a tooth? they say they coudnt turn the distributer enough, is off by 11 deg. , i did have the dist replaced in april, could they have put it in off a tooth and it was like that when i took it apart?

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
now he says it was off by 2 but he has it all lined up now , says it was off 30+ deg, moving it 1 tooth didnt get it where it needed to be

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
an update on this project, i put about 5 miles of driving on it after my work replacing the intake gaskets and injectors, taking it to the shop for the timing, and set off for a 2000 mile journey to california from Chicago, dad thought i was nuts, i looked it over with a flashlight for leaks and it looked good, i am happy to report that it ran great the whole trip, better than it ever has, and once out there it towed my toyhauler around just fine, i have it in a storage yard with the toyhauler now for the winter and flew back, so i can fly out for prez day week at Glamis and fly home, then tow the trailer back in april when winter is over for MX/Supermoto season in the midwest, good times

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh, and it passed california smog no problem with the new magnaflow cats