Distributor hold down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kory Dowell

Reaction score
Trying to set my ckp/cmp but when I loosen my hold down clamp I can't get the distributor move. I really don't wanna take the whole thing out and start over. Any ideas CKP/CMP value is -16.

I've read the sticky and many other tutorials. But historically I've just loosened it up. And turned.

Thanks.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Are you sure you're on the right bolt? If you're tempted to just get it loose enough to turn, but still maintain pressure, don't... the distributor, assuming it's original, is plastic, and hard to grab way back there. Just loosen is all the way up, and don't let go, as it will turn by itself. I had someone turn the engine off when I got it where I wanted it, then tightened it up, restarted the engine and rechecked it.

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure you are not bottoming out against the firewall. Check the plugs out of distributor make sure not contacting. I find it hard to believe the bolts loose and wont turn, its 2 smooth surfaces.

Kory Dowell

Reaction score
Are you sure you are not bottoming out against the firewall. Check the plugs out of distributor make sure not contacting. I find it hard to believe the bolts loose and wont turn, its 2 smooth surfaces.
If I take the bolt completely out I can move it freely, but with the bolt threaded into the manifold the clamp wont allow it any movement at all... almost as if the clamp is stuck on the body.

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So with bolt unscrewed but not all the way out pop it off. There is a groove it sits in so could be stuck....

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If I take the bolt completely out I can move it freely, but with the bolt threaded into the manifold the clamp wont allow it any movement at all... almost as if the clamp is stuck on the body.

Oh.... I've heard of some that are like that. Is this a V6? I think they're supposed to be non-adjustable, but am unsure how/why.

vman

Reaction score
The distributor hold down is pressed on the distributor. It's not like the old ones.You're gonna have to take it off and grind it down so you can move. Your distributor gear could be worn, that's what happened to mine.

Kory Dowell

Reaction score
The distributor hold down is pressed on the distributor. It's not like the old ones.You're gonna have to take it off and grind it down so you can move. Your distributor gear could be worn, that's what happened to mine.
Yea I took it out and cleaned it up and grinded a little on it to get the clearance. I thought it was adjustable guess not. Thanks