Dimensions on my 97 RCSS bed... PLEASE HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Ok. I have a 97 K1500 RCSS. It currently has a camper shell on it so I cant really get a good measurement on the bed for a fitting of a tonneau cover. Does anyone out there know the dimensions for them? Im trying to sell the camper shell but still wanna protect the bed and contents, so either going with a fold up or hard tonneau. Any other ideas? For the truck at all? I want everyones opinions.

You must be registered for see images attach

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I don't know if they made the bed bigger or smaller in '97 compared to my '95 but according to the brochure it's 78.7" long and 49.1" wide. As for the tonneau, I would go with a roll up one. You protect your bed when you want it but still have full access to your bed when you don't. Just my opinion.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have the vinyl roll-ups on both my trucks. Only because of what I do. A complete interior out of a vehicle doesn't fit under a closed hard cover, especially in a short box. So mine tend to be on & off a fair amount. I can't remove a hard cover by myself.
For my '98, I bought a tonneau for a long box off of C/L for $100.00. Took about an hour to shorten the frame & the vinyl to fit the short box. Any upholstery guy that even sorta knows his stuff should be able to do the same. You could mod the frame, then take the truck to the stitcher for him to mod the cover. If he wants to charge you any more than $50.00, your being robbed!
For a step side, the vinyl would also have to be narrowed. Even if you came across one with a good frame, but the vinyl is trashed, it really easy to make up a new one. But the key is to have the frame. That way the tonneau is attached to the framework, which is held onto the truck via clamps.
I've made tonneaus the old school way, without the frame. The attachment snaps are installed directly onto the trucks box. But I don't like to do this. For one, I hate drilling holes in a customer's vehicle, (long story, lesson learned!) & all the holes drilled for the snaps are just one more way for rust to get a foothold.

Last edited:

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
When you find a tonneau cover for a stepside please let me know...

They make them, I just cant find them or a place to send them (in my money range) to Alaska, where I am currently stationed.

I have the vinyl roll-ups on both my trucks. Only because of what I do. A complete interior out of a vehicle doesn't fit under a closed hard cover, especially in a short box. So mine tend to be on & off a fair amount. I can't remove a hard cover by myself.
For my '98, I bought a tonneau for a long box off of C/L for $100.00. Took about an hour to shorten the frame & the vinyl to fit the short box. Any upholstery guy that even sorta knows his stuff should be able to do the same. You could mod the frame, then take the truck to the stitcher for him to mod the cover. If he wants to charge you any more than $50.00, your being robbed!
For a step side, the vinyl would also have to be narrowed. Even if you came across one with a good frame, but the vinyl is trashed, it really easy to make up a new one. But the key is to have the frame. That way the tonneau is attached to the framework, which is held onto the truck via clamps.
I've made tonneaus the old school way, without the frame. The attachment snaps are installed directly onto the trucks box. But I don't like to do this. For one, I hate drilling holes in a customer's vehicle, (long story, lesson learned!) & all the holes drilled for the snaps are just one more way for rust to get a foothold.

Ok thank you. I dont have a whole lot of tools up here to use (I just got stationed up here a few months ago with the Air Force and live in dorms) so I can see what I can do. Ive seen a few threads of people making their own and I might try. But Im just trying to lose the camper shell but keep something that will save my bed and contents from Alaskan Climates. Which is why a roll up or vinyl cover might not work. I will be deploying in November and we got record breaking snowfall last winter. So Im afraid a clip on or roll up cover would just collapse in.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Didn't realize you're in Alaska.
The vinyl for the tonneaus is specific. It'll take a LOT of abuse. Tough stuff.
I had one on my El Camino and it once got a 2.5' load of wet west cost snow on it. Nearly stretched the vinyl down to the box floor. I knocked the snow off & within a couple of hours in a warm shop, it went back to shape.
But, what I've seen (& repaired) this is not always the case. Usually if the cover doesn't rip, the weight of the snow will yank the snaps out of the body, if that's the way it was made, or the frame rails get twisted to sh*t. Especialy the cross-bars that are used on GMT400 vinyl tonneaus.
I've seen vinyl covers made by 'Extang' that apparently can handle the weight of a person standing on 'em. Their ads show a girl actually on top of one on a truck. But, she looks like she probably only weighs about 110lbs!
I've covered aluminum ones that guys have made with the proper tonneau vinyl. One was 3 pieces that folded up onto itself. Made with a perimeter frame, with cross supports underneath. Had a slight curve from side to side in order to help shed water, plus the shape adds to the strength.
I've also covered a couple of one piece alu. ones, too. Styled the same as the fiberglass ones including the hinges/struts, but a lot lighter than fiberglass. One guy added the roof racks off of a Tahoe/Blazer. It was...different.
I've also covered ones made outa plywood, but they usually only last a couple of years or so. Not worth the time & effort IMO.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Yeah. I am originally from Ohio and had built a custom El Camino out of a wrecked Chrysler Fifth Avenue. I had Coopers Trucks make a custom snap on Tonneau with the support beam in the middle but it couldnt even handle Ohios snow. It did stretch back after a little heat but it ripped a few snaps out. So I was looking for something a little stiffer. I am looking for some storage or a nice family that would rent an extra space in their garage to me for my deployment. Also to keep the block and battery from freezing.

Heres a few pics of that Fifth Avenue. Had a charged and built 318 in it, and a custom body job with roof and cab back from a Tacoma. I miss that thing.

What I was doing with it before I had to leave for the military.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Took the shell off the back now. Just need to find another cover. This winter I am going to be able to park my truck in a carport and my friend is going to take care of it for me so the snow is not going to be too much of a factor now. When I get a little jingle in my pocket to pick up some of that vinyl I might try my hand at some fabwork. I worked on audio and lights on the interiors of cars for a living before the AF, so this is a little change of pace.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you can't get the vinyl local to you, let me know, & I'll get you set up with some. Cost + shipping. That will probably still work out less then retail.

Truck looks much better without the 'Can-o-pee'!