Did I break my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Richard Jones look at every plastic tube that goes to each sensor, the purge solenoid, EGR solenoid, EGR, PCV valve, all of those tubes connected to the intake. Take the tube offs one by one and inspect. Make sure there are no leaks in each one. Use a vacuum pump, use water, use you mouth if you want. Any extra air thats getting sucked in, the engine is going to compensate by adding fuel hence the higher RPMS (unless u have a brick sitting on your accelerator, check that also).

Richard Jones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok thank you. I will go through all vacuum hoses tomorrow and actually remove them and inspect them. I should definitely invest in an obd1 scanner, I wasn't familiar with a Bluetooth scanner. The ones I looked at were all $200.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Digital Multi Meter is your friend too! They're not overly expensive either just don't get one at O'Rielly's or Autozone...WalMart has them in the automotive section for cheap and they'll do what you need them to.

Richard Jones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Digital Multi Meter is your friend too! They're not overly expensive either just don't get one at O'Rielly's or Autozone...WalMart has them in the automotive section for cheap and they'll do what you need them to.
With the multimeter am I able to put the probes inside the connector of a sensor like the iac and test if it is working? Might sound like a dumb question but I have 0 experience with electrical tools

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can back probe stuff like the TPS and IAC to make sure they're operating correctly. As mentioned earlier there's a ton of how to videos for doing this stuff that even shows you how to set the meter and such, they're very useful tools to have around.

But it really does sound like you have a vacuum leak IMO.

Richard Jones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I know. You would definitely think it's a vacuum leak, I had a vacuum leak on a truck before and found it so easily that maybe I just assumed it was always that easy. So I'm probably over looking it. Need to go more in depth and search for it. I'll definitely update you guys if I ever get this problem solved

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you do the IAC relearn that was mentioned earlier?