Custom hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I know a few of you guys have welded up hoods, im looking to weld a custom cowl on a stock hood. I know if you use to much filler it will crack, so my question is, will a skim coat of filler crack once im done the welding? I don't want to spend lots of time on a hood that will crack down the road... Btw, im trying to make a 2012 Camaro ss hood scoop for my truck, wide, low and sleek...

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Your base coat of filler should be fiberglass based (like duraglas or kitty hair) then finish with a lightweight filler.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Curious to know, BHB. Would/should a flex agent, such as what is used for plastic bumpers, also be used? Added to the filler?

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Curious to know, BHB. Would/should a flex agent, such as what is used for plastic bumpers, also be used? Added to the filler?

I don't know about that :shrug: I would think no. As both components rigid materials.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Al, I. Will post some pictures! Haven't got to my PC yet... I have a. Pretty cool plan in my head, I think I might make a whole hood in fiberglass.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Well, I think I got it figured out, im going to use a steel/aluminum epoxy bonding agent, and bond the aluminum cowl from the Camaro to the truck hood. then ill be able to use a flexible body filler and put a skim coat onto the hood to make it look stock.. I think that gshould work... any thoughts?