Cruise control module interchange question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have a 1994 rcsb k1500 5.7 auto will any cruise control assembly work 88-98 if i use the original cable?If not will just the module boards work 88-98 or not. My cruise quit quite a while ago and i am trying to fix it. When it quit it just shut off and was never able to get it to do anything after that.Replaced the stalk and wires and the brake switch to no avail.The 1994 cruise housing now has a sticker with a code PR 25140906 f on it what others will work if i switch my cable or just get a board from.Also could the drac or vssb cause this? the speedometer and tcc work properly.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest one to find should be the same one you have - but for the most part, yes, changing the cable will let you use pretty much any cruise module from another gas engine GMT400.

However, most likely you can fix your existing one. The same bad solder joint issue that plagues the wiper motors is starting to take out cruise modules.

Richard

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Perfect timing on this since I was just last night thinking about swapping the 93 Silverado tilt column and cruise control over to my 93 Cheyenne. Same engine, too.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@someotherguy isn't the brake pedal switch an occasional culprit in Cruise issues? Seems like I heard something about that.
#1 suspect on cruise failure is the wiring in the stalk (88-94) as that is very often broken internally once they get old. 95-up don't have that problem.
#2 suspect is definitely the brake switch.

OP has already handled #1 and #2 so next up on the suspect list is the module itself; they didn't used to even rate on the suspect list but these days they do seem to be failing in increasing numbers. Small, but increasing. Bad solder joints inside are easy to fix and freebie if you already have a decent soldering iron.

Richard

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
You could also get a cruise module from a 98-05 S-Series truck or SUV, or a 99-02 GMT800. They're identical to the ones in the 400s. Possibly the earlier S-trucks as well but I'm not quite as certain on that.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might give this a try too:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

There's a link for the cruise control diagnostics.

or this:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I my case, I ended up with "problem in the wiring harness".... That was after replacing the multiswitch stalk. I have a 1996.