cracked flexplate???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattyJ

Resident Nats fan
Reaction score
hi all, i have a 93 ecsb 5.7, well the other day i noticed a semi loud tapping sound coming from under the truck so i got under it and it appeared to be coming from the bellhousing area. so i tried tightening the torque converter bolts but it didnt help. today i noticed the noise was worse so i ran situations through my brain, torque converter issue? shouldnt be the truck runs flawless... did something fly up in there? probly not..... cracked flexplate is the best explanation i could come up with, i have seen it happen before where a flexplate will crack in two pieces or all the way around and you cant tell until you take it off..... i dunno anyone ever had this happen to them? I already bought a flexplate today and will probly pop the trans off saturday and see..... merry christmas to me lol

MattyJ

Resident Nats fan
Reaction score
decided to go ahead and pull the trans today after work, that flexplate should have scatterblasted, it was cracked all the way around the crankshaft bolts and there were cracks coming off of the big crack, i have no idea what made it crack so bad.... needless to say my noise is gone now and the truck seems to drive better.... problem solved :D

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
im having the same issue. mine sounds like a rod knock at idle. when i drive it makes no noise at all. it also stops making noise at idle sometimes. i removed trans and flexplate looks fine. im thinking its torque converter. the truck developed a small bounce at a stop when i let go of brake pedal. its deffinatley not motor knocking. im just gonna replace both.

Richieb1990

Reaction score
im having the same issue. mine sounds like a rod knock at idle. when i drive it makes no noise at all. it also stops making noise at idle sometimes. i removed trans and flexplate looks fine. im thinking its torque converter. the truck developed a small bounce at a stop when i let go of brake pedal. its deffinatley not motor knocking. im just gonna replace both.
What was wrong ? Got the same as you. 91 Silverado 5.7l