Coolant leak left rear side of block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Or, if you want to try something that will not hurt anything, put in the large bottle of Q-Seal and follow the directions. My head gasket ('96 7.4L Gas) was leaking bad and thought I would need to replace it or rebuild engine. That was 26K miles ago. I put a new bottle of Q-Seal in with each coolant change (about every 12K). No leaks, no issues, truck runs perfectly.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Word I heard was that Gm adds stop leak to new engines for a little leak insurance

Obviously best to do it correctly as shurkey posted. But GM did use coolant sealing tabs. I have a leaking intake manifold and using these stops coolant from reaching the ground on my truck. Might buy you some time. Put a couple in the rad before you go on a decent run. Seems to build up a crust at leak points over time. Made from ground nutmeg shells and silica
AC Delco 10-108

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guaranteed the other core plugs are not far behind and for the 2 in between the trans and engine, the engine needs to come out anyway.

I did pretty much what Schurkey describes to mine 12 years ago. Gaskets/rear main seal, timing set , core plugs, oil pump driveshaft collar etc. Once and done. Weekend job

Sealer or a sealing tab is not going to save a core plug that's ready for the center to crumble and fall out and the threaded rubber butt plugs aren't a good solution either.

Last edited: